Keyword

TOPIC:

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19380

Yeah, i could buy & drive some of these RTR Brushless runners but i want to build some own stuff. Maybe it's not cheap but it makes fun. Weird statement. Also you can buy new DF03 or db02 buggys instead of getting old TopForce Parts.
I want to build up a nice looking BF to drive it - not as runner, only for fun. But it would be nice, if i can get a little bit more power out of it. Not for speed, only for snow or something where you need torque. Maybe a crawler is better for this but also not cheap.
I won't change the RS540ST, just want to stabilize the car a little bit and also the gear box.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19383

So more of a nostalgic runner you mean, just modded enough to survive short gentle playing?

I've heard of people bolting through the diff to make it stronger, which I would've thought would make it outlive the spur gear.
Another option would be to make the side plates out of something stiffer (eg 18swg stainless).
Motor pinions wear really quickly, mine went from quiet to hooked teeth in 3 charges.
I reckon stick a crawler motor & oversize pinion in it, so it gets its speed from high torque & overgearing. (That's what they do with the HBX Bonzer) - The bigger pinion should help stop pinion wear & spur breakage (It's to do with gear tooth pressure angles)

Maybe the twisty rear arms could be controlled with tie-rods, from the back of the arm to the lower-back of the gearbox? Or make them out of aluminium, similar type of thing to the big arms on the Clodbuster/Wild Willy?

How about, use a Clod gearbox & arms, with a 5-link suspension for a "live transaxle" setup?
- that would cure the back end problems in one foul swoop!

I personally keep the expensive, fragile vintage stuff on the shelf & use cheap hardy bashers for playing. I've taken most of my vintage Tamiyas out once or twice, but always end up wishing I hadn't, especially the Hilux. No fun when you're being careful, even less fun when it breaks despite being careful!

I've done a few "Upgraded vintage" cars, it can be quite interesting to see what they do & how they behave when you can take them beyond the point where they'd normally disintegrate! (Have a look at the modded XR311 project I did recently)

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19385

:blush: I think that for hard running and fun, the best price/quality, is the Slash 4X4 brushless, but run with a old tam, BF is not the top in original version. I largely prefer the lunch or a midnight if you want a pick up. The lunch is "undie able" :evil: Jumps, Snow, water,sand, dust and dirt... INDESTRUCTIBLE :silly: . If you run softy the BF is enough and very pleasant. :y:

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19626

Eddrick, look what i've received today:

ESC from Blacksmithproducts

Backside is an elco mounted
Attachments:

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19758

Ballbearings arrived!
I've cleaned all gears with WD40, removed also the WD40 of them, put the ballbearings instead of metalrings with some new graupner grease on them into the gear box and made a first test.
Very well running! The graupner grease is very nice!

Attachments:

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19767

Can anyone explain those weird sounds from my Tamiya RS540ST Motor recorded at making at test without gearbox?

MP3 File:
dl.dropbox.com/...s540st.mp3

My old silvercan sounds better than that. Is it the ballbearing?

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19768

Can anyone explain those weird sounds from my Tamiya RS540ST Motor recorded at making at test without gearbox?

MP3 File:
dl.dropbox.com/...s540st.mp3

My old silvercan sounds better than that. Is it the ballbearing?

I'm going to have to say worn bearings :(

I'd just oil it & use it :y:

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19770

Thanks but how? Which Oil and just at both ends? To open this isn't possible i think.

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19774

Bearings are shot (Clatter) & dry (Squealing).
Try some thick oil eg 20/50 automotive stuff, that should shut it up. Don't worry about loss of performance with thick oil, it can't be performing that well in its current state!

Put 1x drop of lube in the front & back bushes, then rotate the shaft by hand a few times. Also helps if you push/pull the shaft gently as you're doing it.
Finish up by cleaning your hands with tissue as they're likely to get sticky/slippery

Project: glowing Vintage Blackfoot 11 years 2 months ago #19798

Maybe i've bashed the motor as a kid... I think i'll use the silvercan first.
Any idea which motor i can use at the gearbox? Only the RS540ST or one with more torque? This also has to fit to the very new BSP ESC...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.