Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2054

Well I finished it, all bar the tyre lettering & gave it a quick razz around the garden ... it's not "ludicrous speed", but it is quite fast ... difficult to tell exactly how fast, but it's got to be at least twice the speed of a silver can.

I had the suspension set on the soft side - evidentally a bit too soft, as the front end dug in on a series of humps, flat out ... it must have gone end over end six times before smacking into a tree, with an awful sound of crunching plastic ... which would have been quite cool, if it was someone else's just restored Bigwig :pinch:

I really ought to get a decent camera and video my first runs - I usually manage to break something in less than a minute ...

Damage isn't too bad, the driver has lost his right arm & there's a bit of paint missing around the front body mount & nose :cry:

But on the other hand ... definitly not a "shelf queen" any more :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2057

Ooops! Oh well - no more need to be gentle with it now... ;)

Which EzRun (# turns) are you using btw?

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2058

Ooops! Oh well - no more need to be gentle with it now... ;)

Which EzRun (# turns) are you using btw?

Nothing too extreme - a 13T/3000kv motor & 35A esc :)

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2069

Aftermath of my recent "oopsie":

Attachments:

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2070

:cry: ;) I know the feeling...

Put lots of work in my Grasshopper at one point and made it do a flip flop and a few meters on it's roof with the first run. :sick:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2071

A few "finished" pics, I'm now completely projectless :(

ps it's not poo, it's a leaf.

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2079

Braaandnew
3 Old Tamiya's

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2129

Great work Jonny!

I've also recently bought a Bigwig. Need to source a chassis for it as the current one is cracked. Where did you get the new rubber shock seals from??

I think I'm going to start the 'dismantle' later;)

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2132

Great work Jonny!

I've also recently bought a Bigwig. Need to source a chassis for it as the current one is cracked. Where did you get the new rubber shock seals from??

I think I'm going to start the 'dismantle' later;)

In the end I didn't rebuild them - all had oil in & weren't leaking, so I left them alone except for cleaning... the manual justs lists them as "3mm o-rings" (12 of them), so i guess they are pretty generic to Tamiya cars, part # 50597 looks fairly promising, although there are only 10 in a packet...

I see there's one chassis on ebay, but it's in the USA - price is 30USD/19GBP, and the shipping is the same. I did see one in the UK a while back, price overall was about the same. How badly (& where) is it cracked? At that sort of price I'd be looking at repairing it.

Welcome on board btw :)
The following user(s) Liked this: sheriff

Re: Bigwig rebuild/reshell 12 years 9 months ago #2133

Very good work, Jonny.
It's up my alley, box art and new look to it.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.