Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cheap drifter?? 10 years 1 month ago #27748

I watched some RC drifting with my 11 year old son last week and he said he'd like to try it (I would too).
What is a good, cheap chassis to get started on (emphasis on CHEAP, like <£30)?
Bear in mind I have various motors, ESCs and radio gear lying about that I can use.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Cheap drifter?? 10 years 1 month ago #27749

A coworker has this, www.hobbyking.c..._KIT_.html.
It drifts pretty well and seems to be of reasonable quality.

Re:Cheap drifter?? 10 years 1 month ago #27754

I didn t like the drift and found no interest but now i am fan. I have one of the cheapest drifter. Ak
F. _ standard tt01 with a set of used drift wheeles. Just a small advice, if you use it at home, the 540 is enough but in external, the chassis is underturning with standard motor :(
50€the tt01
20€ for a new drift wheeles set
And I am the poorest pilot of the world :blush:
Drifting is fun

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Re:Cheap drifter?? 10 years 1 month ago #27759

:) my drifter with a unknown c5r bodyshell. Originaly a delta on a basic tt01

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Martin Bell

Cheap drifter?? 10 years 1 month ago #27774

Not had much luck with drifting myself, but not having anywhere local to practice doesn't help ...

attempt #1: "Drift Spec" TT01 chassis (Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor + oil shocks); added bearings, super hard tyres & RS200 body - wheels spun up ok, but either too well planted or underpowered meant understeerign rather than drifting :(

attempt #2: TA03F chassis, same hard tyres, steering balljoints moved to inner position, also bearings & (different) oil shocks, Citroen Xsara body ... as power had been an issue before I fitted a 5.5T brushless combo. This didn't work that well, it was too well balanced & showed no inclination to get the tail out, just spin around its centre at high speed, with no chance of holding it - although I did manage one perfect drift (out of 100's of attempts)

attempt #3: same car as #2, but with soft front suspension, hard rear, locked rear diff (to encourage the rear end to break away sooner), and dremelled front suspension components (to get more steering angle). Still haven't used 3+ years after those mods :whistle:

Cheapest chassis is going to have to be a TL01, I don't see why that couldn't work with lots of power & a few adjustments/mods :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Martin Bell

Cheap drifter?? 10 years 1 month ago #27864

Yeah, finding somewhere to practice will be a challenge. :unsure:
I'll keep my eye out on ebay for something suitable. I think I will find it easier to justify if I buy a wreck and do it up. Probably end up costing just as much, but will feel better to me.

Annoyingly, I sold a TL-01 with a Merc bodyshell a little while ago. Would have been ideal :(

Cheap drifter?? 10 years 1 month ago #27869

try hobbyking, a cheap drifter would probably be around $150

Cheap drifter?? 10 years 3 weeks ago #28100

So, I've bought this:

What mods will I need?
Will probably be mostly using it outdoors (unless I can get into the local school hall :P ) - does this make a difference to tyres etc?

Cheap drifter?? 10 years 3 weeks ago #28101

TL-01, I think? Can't really go bad with that one. :-)
Tyres depend on what you wanna do of course. Slicks for some carpet drifting or profile when outdoor rallying. B)
Should be pretty easy to find some cheap ones in that common size.

Last edit: by Edou.

Cheap drifter?? 10 years 3 weeks ago #28104

It's been a long time since I've fiddled with a TL01 chassis (and/or done any RC drifting ... or much RC driving at all, come to think of it) , however ...

Shell looks a bit rough in the photo so will probably be really bad when it arrives :whistle: ... take a look at eBay seller Racing Punk for replacements, they do a load, varying enormously in cost & tastelessness ;) IIRC width of a TL01 is a nominal 190mm, you might want to go wider & then make up the difference with offset wheels.

Bearings, 16 off 1150 IIRC

Naughty motor, a Tamiya Sport Tuned won't cut it IMO, a 19T might.

M3 studding & suitable rod ends (or similar) to replace the OE plastic beams to give it a bit of adjustability (e.g. a little toe out on the front?).

Alloy hubs (12mm hex), preferably ones that can be screw tightened (black plastic OE are always breaking/falling off/loosing pins).

Those tires light work ok (in the slidey sense) on painted concrete or parquet floors :whistle: but the left rear wheel looks to be broken anyway ... I'd suggest a cheap set of drift tyres (hard plastic, not slick rubber) already installed on wheels.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.