Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 12 years 1 month ago #6742

At some point I will have to start putting my Audi Quattro Rally back together, but I know I'm missing some bits, largest being the radio box lid.
Could one of you Quattro owners out there do me a huge favour & have a measure up & let me have a dimensioned sketch of what it looks like please?
Plan is to make one, so I'd need enough info to do that. If it looks like a viable project, I'll do a proper drawing of it & post it, so that anyone else missing a lid, that doesn't mind a non-original one, & fancies having a go at making one, can.
Also, although I have a front grille for the body, it's missing the lower valence/bumper part. Does anyone have a spare/broken one they could offer me? - if push comes to shove, I'd only really need part of the valence, to copy, to repair the rest of it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 12 years 1 month ago #6749

If you have no luck, I still have a Wild Willy M38 in bits - which is basically a SWB version :whistle: - I can take some photos & a bunch of measurements & you could probably extrapolate from that - I suspect the back end/radio battery cover end & width at the front are the same, it's just the length (& angle) between the two that's different.

I'm curious how you're going to make one - styrene sheet (glued bits or vacformed), folded metal? Lego? ;) :D :silly:

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 12 years 1 month ago #6767

Dammit, got coffee all over myself.... Lego! Fantastic idea! My dad tried to design a gas pottery kiln using Lego, didn't go well....
Er, I don't really know yet - all I've got to go by are the pics in the manual so far, which look like it wouldn't be too hard to do in plasticard. I wouldn't be surprised if the manual pics are simplified, but until I get my mitts on the real thing I won't really know for sure. Another option for reproducing bits like this, IF you have the original (Or even most of it) would be to take a silicon mould casting from it, then cast it in ABS or polyester (Or even epoxy) resin. Again, I haven't properly looked, but are there any other differences between the quattro & willy lids other than length? Does the willy have the quattro's battery mounts?

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 12 years 1 month ago #6771

get the measurements of the original lid make a 3D drawing of and have it printed over here ;)

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 12 years 1 month ago #6772

3D prototype printers are awesome, I want one! - Keep trying to persuade work to get one but they tell me we have no use for one... well DUH!
Seriously though, we DO have a CNC router at work, & in theory if I fed it a suitable DXF file (Which I can generate at home if I can get the dimensions) & a thick enough lump of approprite material, it would happily pump out radio box lids all day long. 1st step is getting the info though

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 11 years 11 months ago #8606

I'm at the point where I REALLY need a dimensioned sketch of a Quattro/Ascona radio box lid, so if any of you Quattro owners out there have one you could quickly run a rule over & let me have the numbers, it would be greatly appreciated!
Just finished rebuilding my front grille/valence & I have to say it's something I never want to have to do ever again! Nightmare... Other than that, the car's about finished

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 11 years 11 months ago #8644

Got bored searching for radio box lids or dimensions & I need the Quattro off my bench, so I spent the evening making one, with nothing but the chassis & manual pics to guide me. Needs de-seaming & some paint, but I think it's come out ok, even if it's not the same as the original
Attachments:

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 11 years 11 months ago #8646

Proper job :y: :)

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 11 years 11 months ago #8651

Eddrick, sorry for late reply...
If you are still interested, I can do some measuring for you?
I can do it during the weekend, if this go as planned.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Quattro/Ascona radio box lid 11 years 11 months ago #8652

Thats one fine looking lid, I have been trying out some 3D modeling too see if 3D printing is a solution. Used google sketchup and came up with this.

thats gone set me back for 25

Last edit: by waterbok.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.