Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Project "Better XR311" 11 years 3 months ago #17113

A quick update, I've been far too busy to do anything much with this, plus I've been waiting for an ESC so I can give it a shakedown run.

Decided against re-doing the bumper - the original pulls the eye away from the skinny-looking front end, so I think I'm going to leave it as is.

Machined up an Rx aerial tube holder

ESC turned up this morning, so I immediately tested it, then replaced the wiring with longer stuff, then tested it again to check my work.
Lashed it to the chassis with rubber bands, charged the battery the took the chassis for a spin...

Er, not as quick as I was expecting (Medium gear is fitted, I'll try the high gear next time). Masses of wheelspin on the living room carpet, but I couldn't for the life of me get the back end out!? Never had that problem before, & it was totally unexpected given the lack of rear-end grip (Due to the hard rubber).

New torsion bars are splendid! I thought they might be too hard, but they seem to be ok with the extra weight of the running gear, & I suspect they'll be softer still with the weight of the body. Needless to say, I didn't manage to break them!
Despite my best efforts & lots of "air time", the wishbone squares are still ok too.
HOWEVER, what eventually stopped play was a combination of over-enthusiasm TRYING to lose control, & some mis-judgement of the brick fireplace hearth.... caught it with a back wheel & tore it off, breaking one of the rear uprights in halve in the process. La la la.

Currently casting up some more, can't think of a good way to reinforce them, short of chopping up some glass fibre & using industrial resin. Being more careful in future might just be less effort, so I'll have to try to remember that trick!

What else... oh yeah, goobed all the ESC holes with silicone to keep the locals out, just waiting for it to set before I mount it on the car. Hopefully, then all I'll have to do is paint & fit a new upright, then I can take some "it's finished" pics, & move on to the next project that's hurtling around my brain at the mo!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Project "Better XR311" 11 years 3 months ago #17226

Got around to fitting the replacement rear upright tonight, got the car all back together & gave it another caning around the front room.
Much better with the higher gearing, although still not that quick. Drifting is now possible with it, I guess the higher speed/momentum helps!
Think (Hope) it's time to call it "done" on move on to something else (Quite bored with this project now)

Re: Project "Better XR311" 1 year 5 months ago #72880

Hi eddrick.
SO I'm doing a Cheetah myself, or actually two, but here in lies my problem, I'm missing those adjusters from the torsion bars (for missing torsion bars I used Lego Axels ) anyway, I'm thinking I could mould them. but even searching the web I can't find any really good mould help for this kind. How did you make your molds for the missings pieces? the upright, gearbox ect? 
Hope you can help

Greatings from Daniel from Denmark

Last edit: by smsdalleisback.

Re: Project "Better XR311" 1 year 5 months ago #72881

Hi eddrick.
SO I'm doing a Cheetah myself, or actually two, but here in lies my problem, I'm missing those adjusters from the torsion bars (for missing torsion bars I used Lego Axels ) anyway, I'm thinking I could mould them. but even searching the web I can't find any really good mould help for this kind. How did you make your molds for the missings pieces? the upright, gearbox ect? 
Hope you can help

Greatings from Daniel from Denmark

Hi Daniel, It has been over 9.5 years since this topic was active and 2 years since Eddrick has been logged in to the fourm. Sorry 
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.