Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11126

Getting there.....
Rolling chassis components all done & assembled.

WW2 body has arrived, as has "Willy". JR was kind enough to provide me with the rest of the roll bar components I was missing (Cheers again Jonny).
As much as I don't care a huge amount if something's all original or not when it gets to this point with so many non-original bits, I'd still like it to look more or less like the original version, so there's some body modification to be done.
1st off is the grille - I drew around the WW2 grille (That came with the other new WW2 body bits) onto some Plasticard & chopped it out. Plan is to reproduce a WW2 grille that fits the WW2 body, but looks like an M38 one (Kinda avoids stuff not fitting together problems). JR provided me with more info for the M38 grille (Cheers again Jonny) so using this & the WW2 grille as a template, stuck the plasticard blank on the mill & machined out the slots, holes & round recesses.

I've since carved out some lower hinge details for it, sidelight/radiator mount pegs & the mounting brackets, which are all now fitted. Had a lot of trouble finding a paint match for it, best I found was matt Humbrol 155, just waiting for some enamel laquer to mix with it to make it a semi gloss for a better match to the WW2 body.
Making the main WW2 body more like the M38 - sanded off the bonnet ribs to start with. Then, I had to fill the redundant body mounting holes. As I said before, I don't like filler, so this was done using leftover body plastic, ie sprue material & gluing it into the holes. Yes, I know sprue material is too small.... SO, I chopped up some sprue & put it in a piece of large diameter brass aerial tube & stuck it in the oven on 230degC to melt. Result was a body-coloured slug of ABS, ready for machining into plugs for the holes.

I next made a windscreen using my normal method (CD case), & most of the body detail bits are painted & fitted now. Next job will be windscreen hinges.
That's all for now, there'll be more when I get a bit further!
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11128

Really nice work, eddrick!!! It will look great in the end i am sure off B)

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11135

JR & Eddrick, you guys keep amazing me time and time again, I just love these restoration threads were you fix cars in a condition from nill back to 100+ % :y: (i need a bigger thumps up)

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11137

Here it is :

We've certainly seen some amazing transformations from you guys lately. B)
Attachments:

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11139

Cheers Waterbok! It's all about practice, experience, & the front to have a bash at something you've not done before - if you don't try something new, how do you ever find out if it's possible or not (Be warned though, this attitude often also leads to injury....) & of course, practice makes perfect. I don't know about Jonny, but I had an early start in life & was rebuilding stationary engines by age 8 (With the occasional brute force help from my dad). All my life I've been in the situation where I can't afford new, so it's always been a case of make or repair what's affordable - cars, bikes, furniture, fishing gear, power tools, garden machinery, agricultural stuff, electrics, electronics, computer related equipment, you name it, I've fixed it! Most of the tricks I use with the RC stuff are those I've learned by doing something totally unrelated.
This doesn't stop me being totally amazed by some of the things that other people do - whether or not I like a model (Or anything else for that mater) doesn't come into it, I always look for the amount of effort & new ideas that go into something, my appreciation is aimed at good ideas, good engineering, skill & attention to detail. Not interested in the fastest, most powerful, pile of expensive bolt-on goodies, anyone with a large enough wallet can do that, despite how good it might look.
Go one, find a basket case to bring back to life, have a go, you know you wanna!

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11140

Cheers Edou!
Knowing you like this stuff will bring more, I'm sure!

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11149

Some top work going on here eddrick :y:

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11156

I've been reading every word... :y:
What you did with the rims is a small miracle! I would have liked some in between shots though. ;)
Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11166

There was no in between, only magic & shed fairies....
What sort of in between shots would you have liked? - maybe I could bear it in mind for a similar future job?
I've done a little bit more tonight, but it hasn't been going well. Problem was I had to weld up a knackered festival trolley for a mate tonight, & that kinda sucked the last of my enthusiasm for other shed stuff!

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11167

I was just wondering how you came from this :

To the finished rim :

:blink:

Excellent work, I can't even tell which wheel has the restored rim.
Making me curious how you pulled that off exactly...
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.