Keyword

TOPIC:

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20566

Has Any one heard of this one?
Dettol?
Paint remover!!
Its great for removing paint on all types of plastics!!
Dilute as normal in warm water and soak item over night
and Ta Dar !! no more paint
Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20568

Can't say I'd heard that, but it makes sense as it has caustic soda in it. TBH I'd be worried that the the other ingredients (especially the castor & pine oils) might cause problems with repainting later on.

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20569

interesting, I did a bit of googling and a lot of the miniatures people seem to use it to clean the plastic figurines. There also seems to be two different versions of dettol and you need the version with chloroxylenol in it. I will try this on some old car bodies I have. Not everyone dilutes either, and it seems about 24hrs is needed.

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20570

wiki:

Toxicity
Humans
As with other manufactured household cleaners, Dettol has the potential for causing lethal toxicity. It is poisonous when ingested, and even when it is unintentionally inhaled.

In a case report, a 42-year-old British man died from Dettol overexposure in May 2007. The autopsy was not able to conclude whether the lethal exposure to Dettol was via ingestion or inhalation.

:S

and my first tought was we used to use that (80s) to clean cuts against infections. :huh:

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20571

ok, as I am keen to see this work as dettol is heaps cheaper that graffitti remover and I suspect less harsh than brake fluid I have set up a test tonight with an old 1/24 car body. Paint is unknown, but likely to be either an acrylic or enamel based.
I'm going to soak for a few hours and all up probably 24 hrs.

As for that poor sod, I did briefly think Darwin Award Candidate. The bottle I bought today ($9.50 AUD for 500 ml) lists thats its great to put in baths, good for cuts and to use diluted. So I am guessing he did something really silly and paid the price for it,

regards

Johann

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20572

There is another one that you can try to that doesnt always work with all plastics but is great for removing fibre glass from metal and cleaning some rubbers etc and thats to use Acetone, but not the nail varnish remover you need the proper stuff only available under licence in large quantities or small from your local chemist(Pharmacist)
I also use from time to time a cleaner for Printheads as this is totally non corrosive and worsk well with most plastics and lastly you can try Ever Builds wonder wipes, these will remove paint from hands and they do work with polycarbonate too
Mike

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20573

ok, so I tried dettol on a small car body I had lying around.
This is the candidate, which was placed into a plastic zip lock bag with 500 ml of Dettol.

This is straight out after 4 hours removal (I think I could have tried even after an hour or so though)

After scrubbing and a wash in water.

other side wasn't as well done. I think you have to be quick, so I have placed the car back into the back and will have another go scrubbing tomorrow night.

The plastic itself didn't seem affected and I didn't notice any effects like I did with brake fluid (mainly a slight whitening of the plastic, plus brake fluid took a lot longer to get this far). The dettol stinks, so make sure the area is well ventilated. I also used a zip lock bag to help contain the smell and wore a latex glove when handling the car.

Once I can see how this goes after 1 day of soaking I'll give my Brat body a go.

Also with acetone, be very careful using it on polystyrene bodies (white hard bodies) as Acetone is a solvent for polystyrene. In Australia you can get 100% Acetone from any hardware store,

regards

Johann

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20577

Interesting, I'll have to try that.... I was all ready to poo-poo the idea, but the results speak for themselves.
I take it that body was painted with model paint? I wonder if it works with automotive paint...

Acetone will go for styrene & "lexan" bodies, been there, done that. (Could be related to the whole "this lexan is something other than polycarbonate" debate).
Interested to know why it doesn't melt print cartridges though, I would've thought it would go for those too

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20584

Funnily enough, I was reading about Dettol for removing paint just yesterday. A lot of the American forums (in particular the RC10 ones) talk about "Simple Green" for cleaning components and I Googled for a UK alternative. One of the links I found was on a miniature figures forum and recommended Dettol.
Apparently you have to use the normal brown stuff, not any of the other derivatives.

Dettol 10 years 11 months ago #20589

eddick - print cartridges are usually made of ABS which I think is more resistance to acetone. Methyl Ketone can be used to melt ABS though (active ingredient on PVC pipe glue).

I've got a bashed around lexan mini body I can try dettol on as well, but I've read that it can discolour clear plastic. However that might be from the paint forming a sludge and staining the lexan more so than the dettol attacking the lexan. Well thats what I've read with a bit of googling, I am keen to try for myself. I did also notice that some (but not many) were using WD40 to help clean off partially dissolved paint.

Martin - apparently there are a couple of different varieties of Dettol and its the one that contains chloroxylenol. And is likely to be a similar active ingredient in the simplygreen (but I haven't seen that in Australia).

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.