Keyword

Poll: What are you charging? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

NiCd
5 15.6%
NiMH
13 40.6%
Lipo
14 43.8%
Other
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 32 ( Jack Willy Orz, cumminsdoc, Purple_rob, nivapilot, uncletom ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC:

What are you charging (with)? 10 years 7 months ago #23362

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad

Somebody said me that in case of hard shock :unsure:

That's why they got the hard cases, a leak could be dangerous. ;)
I think nowadays you gotta really abuse a Lipo before extraordinary things will happen...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

What are you charging (with)? 10 years 7 months ago #23369

:blink: ok i charge a 3 s. Lipo 12h under 20A in fast charging. :silly:

What are you charging (with)? 10 years 7 months ago #23371

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Poke a hole in it too, that'll give some nice sparkles. :lol:

What are you charging (with)? 10 years 7 months ago #23405

:evil: :silly: :woohoo:

What are you charging (with)? 10 years 7 months ago #23420

Somebody said me that in case of hard shock :unsure:

That's why they got the hard cases, a leak could be dangerous. ;)
I think nowadays you gotta really abuse a Lipo before extraordinary things will happen...

The 'myth' that hard-shock will cause them to explode/catch fire is just that as far as I can tell. I seems to be from plane flyers that have crashed, but this usually causes cells to deform and break. My current charger has a temp sensor also, you place it under the cell in a fireproof bag and it turns off if the cell exceeds the temperature.

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #28773

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Even though the outcome is interesting I wouldn't recommend the following...
Putting a NiCad pack on a 'dumb' timed charger twice, forgetting about it and going out.
On my way back I remembered and thought it would have surely died.
Who'd try to put 3Ah in a 2Ah pack (that was only emptied to 5.4V).

:S

At least it didn't melt but I thought I'd better test it...
Now here it comes - capacity has improved by about a third! Solid voltage too.

:huh:

Did another similar pack too, closely keeping an eye on the temperature. Same outcome.

To elaborate, before the smart charger would (delta peak) cut off the feed at 1200-1300mAh. Now at 1600-1800mAh.

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #28791

hi kids, just sticking my nose in briefly cos I can tell you a story about buying "cheap" LiPos (From China) - DON'T!

New battery, only ever charged with the proper charger, never overcharged or abused. Worked ok first 2x charges, was down on power 3rd flight. Started charging it (About 20 mins in) then had to go shopping, so I unplugged it. Came back about an hour later & was unpacking the shopping when there was a flash & a loud bang behind me. I looked around & my heli was doing a pretty good impression of a roman candle, the smoke filled the kitchen....
In the time it took me to recover from shock, decide I'd better take a pic, dash upstairs for the camera, come down again, turn the cam on & set it up for a pic, the battery was still glowing, the heli was still smouldering.
For anyone who says it's a myth that LiPos explode, I can tell you it's not - in one of the pics you can see the soot spattered up the wall about a foot away from the heli, I'm glad I wasn't standing near it, & I'm glad I charge stuff on a non-flammable surface.
NOTE - THE BATTERY WASN'T PLUGGED IN TO ANYTHING AT THE TIME it just decided to fail whilst sitting there doing nothing. Glad it wasn't in my loft...

The pack was a 1s 1100mAH.
Ebayer who sold me it said he'd replace my heli, that was 5 weeks ago & now he's not answering messages, obviously
Attachments:

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #28792

Mmmm that reminds me I got two heli's with some small lipo lying around somewhere (for about year and a half) probably better to get rid of the accu's and get new ones when its flytime. :whistle:
Did store them in a metal container :huh:

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #28793

What tickles me is that the only way that battery could've just randomly shorted whilst sitting there doing nothing must've been a component in the protection circuit failed short.

Think I'm happy to stick to NiCds, they may be weighty, give short run times & be full of stuff that should be banned in case babies eat them, but they seem (To me) to be far more reliable than more modern battery technologies

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #28794

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
First of all - good to see you around! :cheer:
Second... wow. Holy guacamole. Not even a crash and burn. Just sitting there, being a complete hazard.
You'd be a rich man if you lived in the States and sued the seller!

Still living my NiCads as well...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.