Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55335

Hi guys and gals. I have dug out my old Tamiya Hotshots circa 1986ish and decided to get them running again.I've purchased a new charger, a X2 AC plus black edition from Hitec, and a few batteries, Speedpack 7.2 volt 2400mAh Nimh 6 cells with tamiya connectors, but I could use some help finding the right battery for the receiver. My local store wasn't much help at all. Both have Futaba Magnum Junior FP-T2PK remotes with FP-R102GS receivers. My old receiver battery packs are just plain shrink wrapped so no help there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Love the site! I am new here, it's got me pretty pumped to get out and have some fun again. So much new info! I can't believe that they are repopping my kits. Thanks
The following user(s) Liked this: Gripper107, AJB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ezdz.

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55337

Welcome on board.
For your receiver , you need a 4 cells clip with 4 cells or 4 AA nimh aqs.

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55339

Hey there, You could get a rechargeable pack like this

Or pick up the old school battery pack you can just replace the batteries when they are flat ;)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

Last edit: by AndyAus.

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55343

• AJB
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
I'm confused! I thought that the Hotshots all came with Battery Eliminators, and didn't have space for receiver batteries in the small electronics box/compartment.

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55344

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Not a lot of help, but I remember putting the receiver in the space where the drivers head goes so I could an electronic speed control in mine.

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55345

get an 6v BECfrom hobbyking or any other shop instead, this can connect to the NiMh and can replace the battery pack.

Or even better throw out the old school MSC and get a quicrun 1060 ESC with integrated BEC, better run time, eliminates the receiver battery and will provide some safety on signal loss.

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55349

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm having a hard time remembering how things work and how things go together. I've had these rigs in storage for 29 years so at 55 that's over half my life ago. I still have my instruction booklet for the vehicles so I'm covered there but I think I decided to use a rechargeable battery pack for steering/speed so that I wasn't drawing from the main battery so more battery for racing. I took apart my old shrink wrap pack and there were 5 small cells but the only info was a Japan stamp on the bottom of each cell. From what I've been reading that would probably mean each is 1.2 volt for a total of 6 volts but I'm not 100% sure what the mAh should be. I'm worried about the mAh as I don't want to fry the receiver. Is it even possible to fry the receiver if I'm using the proper volts but the battery stores more juice? The more I read the more things are coming back to me so I'm sure that I'll get there very soon. I was also worried about buying 2400 mAh main battery packs as I know the old ones were only 1200 mAh. Longer run time means a hotter motor and I remember it running very hot. I swapped out the original aluminum heat sinks for ceramic back in the day. Sorry for the rambling post I just hope by giving you the bigger picture somebody might see something that helps. Switching gears a bit I also found my old truck, A Big Bear, a Murai product, very basic but it was still loads of fun! Thanks again all, hopefully once I get these rigs back on the road I'll post a couple pics. Till then, thanks again.

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55350

• AJB
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
mAh is just how much juice there is - the voltage is the only thing that needs to be correct to avoid frying things! As you say, a higher mAh main battery means longer runtimes, so gives you the potential to get the motor hotter by running it for longer, but that's it!

So yeah - any 6V supply is fine for the receiver - like the options posted by other people earlier. Or if you've still got the battery eliminator switch it came with (which drops 7.2V from the main pack to a regulated 6V for the receiver) then you could go back to doing it the way the instructions expected. Just don't connect the main 7.2 pack straight to the receiver if you don't have a battery eliminator.

Have fun!!

I got my old Fox back up and running last year for the first time since the 80s - it's great seeing it go again!!

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55354

Thanks for the clarification on mAh AJB , it was greatly appreciated. Sounds like I was on the right track but your confirmation gives me that extra bit of confidence I needed to proceed . So I'm starting to get a fingertip grip on this "old school" hobby , now I just have to jump up to the 21st century and sort through the new technology as things have changed a lot since the 80"s! An eighties Fox , nice! Tell me how much slower are the older cars compared to the new set ups. I don't know if I'll ever buy a new car as it may be more about chasing memories than jumping back into the hobby. I guess I'll see how I feel when I get the three I have going. Just curious AJB, did your Fox get you back into the hobby or was it all about the nostalgia? Have you ever posted a picture of your fox on this forum? Thanks for the information, I do really appreciate it.

power for receiver 4 years 10 months ago #55355

• AJB
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
I can't really speak for new cars compared to old. I discovered about a year ago that they'd re-released various old cars, including the Fox (as the Nova-Fox). Mine had retired to the cupboard, and then to loft, back in the 80s once it wore out its second set of driveshafts, and the second set of steering/suspension ball joints were starting to pop apart too. I'd always wondered back in the day if there were dogbone driveshafts from another car which might fit and be more reliable, and suddenly I could easily buy Nova-Fox driveshafts and fix it up. So I did! It brought back loads of good memories!

Then enjoyed doing that so much that I ended up buying and building a re-release Wild One too - I remember loving the Wild One when someone brought one into school once.

Then enjoyed doing that so much that I ended up buying and building a re-release HotShot too - I remember a group of us being amazed that an RC car could have working 4WD when someone brought one into school - plus I love the crazy rear suspension!!!

A few photos I've posted are on these pages:
Fox (part way down page)
More of Fox on next page here
Wild One
Hotshot (part way down page)

Last edit: by AJB.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.