Keyword

TOPIC:

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56215

Man did you frankenstein that one! Awesome job though. You wouldn't have any film clip on how it behaves in action?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56228

(Ooops, double post..)

Last edit: by Notch.

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56229

I made a short clip at a spot with a decking with well defined wave pattern.
It was with a supershorty LiPo and 27T Roar Stock. Hornet is quick and very light. Still unpredictable.

For the fun, have a look at this old one. It is completely differnet because track had unpredictable bumps everywhere.
My Hornet is there, at the time with Sport Tuned and heavy NiMh. Otherwise all stock. See if you recognise the car doing forward flip and what not else :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, uncletom

Last edit: by Notch.

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56230

Great clips! Thanks! You are a true Grasshopper/Hornet believer. Also nice to see a good old Buggy Champ on the track together with those newer buggies.

;) i see Hornet is the only one braking before the jump. It's not very good at jumping?

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56251

Glad You liked them.
And thanks for the believer-comment, I guess :-) I have never abandoned the car during the last 11 years, although I found it too frustrating to run races with after 2 events :)

No, the Hornet does not handle jumps and bumps well.

I looked closer at the video and the made a list of cue points for when The Hornet appears.
While it looks crowded, there were only 4 cars: Losi JRx2 Pro (purple), Rough Rider (bluish), The Frog (white with red roof, big front shock tower and gigantic spoiler) and The Hornet.
( vimeo.com/1698551 )
0:03-lets Rough Rider pass and start chasing it down main straight at lightning speed :)
0:10-0:11bounces to the left at beginning of quarter pipe for no reason
0:33falls off to the right at main jump in the background
0:44-0:46bounces and skids to the right at main straight
0:47forward flip!!
0:53lands on the roof in jump. The Frog is passing by.
1:13falls off to the right at main jump in the background
1:29overshoots and looses traction in quarter pipe and crashes
1:34-1:39lands on its feet and continues :)

It looks like the Hornet is fast all the time and breaking was almost not necessary :laugh: It just suffers from some surprisingly sudden and random bouncing of the rear end in all directions. Oh, and the front end does it own thing also by not always keeping the wheels pointing in the direction you steer, but that's another topic :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, uncletom

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56252

Wow. Again, it is quite interesting watching these very different cars race on one track together.

"....surprisingly sudden and random bouncing of the rear end in all directions"
- That would be caused by those balloon tires, I would imagine.

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56266

Probably the balloon tires had some influence on bouncing, but I think not major. There were soft foam inside even.
Anyway, I stick with the theory that the the motor moving about, almost like a catapult, is what provides most of the bad rear end behaviour. ;)

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56277

That's me driving the Rough Rider !! :laugh:
Great fun and great to meet like-minded people.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: Notch, stingray-63

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56290

Yes, I think is it is a fact that in many ways the axle-mounted motor does interfere alot with the suspension function and vehicle travel. The size and weight of the motor in relation to the axle and car in general is very large. Add to it the momentum of the 27T 540 forward/backup and you have a motor with a car mounted on it.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to do any physics investigation with the smaller 360 motor, as the permanent motor for this car. But then the car will become too lame for me anyway, and I would probably loose interest. I want it to work so much but at this point I fear that may be a vane wish only, and that it is impossible to make Tamiya's original design to work well.

Last edit: by uncletom.

Grasshopper & Hornet - rear axle suspension 4 years 8 months ago #56295

You hit the proverbial "nail on the head" with the axle-mounted motor set-up of this chassis.

My results with the the 380 motor on 3s were surprisingly well. Manage the heat and you've got a good balance of weight/torque/top end that suits the limits of what this chassis can do.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.