Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clodbuster vs wt-01 4 years 2 months ago #58210

Hello,
In a nutshell, how does the clodbuster compare to the WT-01 chassis?
For rocky, offroad driving, which is best?
Thanks for any thoughts :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clodbuster vs wt-01 4 years 2 months ago #58217

I had a Wild Dagger for a while (one of the 4WD precursors to the WT-01 chassis), under power it would lift the front inside wheel (which would then flap about) and understeer badly ... it was capable enough on shortish grass, light snow, dirt, light scree etc but ultimately it lacked something, "driving" was generally a case of keeping the right stick hard over one way or the other, and going on & off the power to make 50p pieces out of every corner.

I can't imagine an RWD version being any better ;)

Clods/Super Clods/Bullheads etc are deeply flawed out of the box (slow, short battery life, barely any articulation, they barely steer (and then only from the rear) but they do have presence, and the ability to drive over nearly anything - deep snow, lakes, Lunchboxes etc.

To sum up, both are flawed, but where the WT-01 is lakcking a soul, the Clod has character :)

Clodbuster vs wt-01 4 years 2 months ago #58223

A top comparison - thanks very much :)

...although, I now have to factor "soul" into my "hmm, which one" decision.

:)

Clodbuster vs wt-01 4 years 2 months ago #58232

wt01 makes a better runner as the clod, difficult to compare both as chassis are way to different.
The WT needs some help to run better, shock tower 90-100mm dampers, better wheels.tires and the usual bearings and steel pinions.

2WD, soft grippier tires make a big difference.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, headsail

Last edit: by waterbok.

Clodbuster vs wt-01 4 years 2 months ago #58249

Neither model is very useful for any kind of serious terrain. As already mentioned, the Clod has no articulation and terrible steering. Anything with open differentials is likely to have its own problems. Of the Tamiya offerings, the CR-01 has the best off-road capability by far and there are a pretty wide range of body choices.

Clodbuster vs wt-01 4 years 2 months ago #58265

Hi,

thanks for all your thoughts so far.

I have to admit, when I said "rocky", I didn't mean rock-crawling, more just hardcore and very bug gravel...

That said, I've never built a rock-crawler, and I'm certainly thinking about it now... :)

Clodbuster vs wt-01 4 years 2 months ago #58267

Hi,
I have to admit, when I said "rocky", I didn't mean rock-crawling, more just hardcore and very bug gravel....

Like this...
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: headsail

Clodbuster vs wt-01 4 years 2 months ago #58284

Yep, pretty much - maybe a bit bigger in places.

It turned out to be too big for my TA-02T and destroyed the front end :(

I'm sort of siding with the WT-01 (seeing as you can't get a WR-01 for love nor money anymore), even though I like the bath-tub chassis and double dampers of the clod-buster.

Again, thanks for your thoughts on this :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.