Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 5 months ago #3713

AP2402 set arrived so have added pics & data :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 5 months ago #3834

I'm collecting the first 100 Tamiya cars and have been looking to find the 'correct' set for each car / or where the changes came. The way I'm approaching it is to match the set to the kits as and when they came out. At present my main PC is down but I should be able to narrow the release dates down for you. I have every issue of Radio Race Car and Model Cars / RCMC from 1979 - 2000 . The Technidrive I believe was released alongsidethe Mk III rather than a replacement, for Acoms it was a high end radio , a dearer price and hence it's rather more rare. Really from what I know and have records of, the MkV (chrome) replaced the MkIII in effect. Indeed it took me a good few years to work out that the Technidrive was the missing MkIV .

I will sift through and try and get some months years for the release of the first 5 sets. There are some overlap of servos / receivers in sets but maybe not as many as you suggest. I do have later sets but mostly I'm interested in the earliest up to 1992 (up to the Tamiya Top-Force)

Very interesting and informative piece Jonny ! I'm just trying to get my earliest set back into life ....

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 5 months ago #3835

I'm collecting the first 100 Tamiya cars and have been looking to find the 'correct' set for each car / or where the changes came. The way I'm approaching it is to match the set to the kits as and when they came out. At present my main PC is down but I should be able to narrow the release dates down for you. I have every issue of Radio Race Car and Model Cars / RCMC from 1979 - 2000 . The Technidrive I believe was released alongsidethe Mk III rather than a replacement, for Acoms it was a high end radio , a dearer price and hence it's rather more rare. Really from what I know and have records of, the MkV (chrome) replaced the MkIII in effect. Indeed it took me a good few years to work out that the Technidrive was the missing MkIV .

I will sift through and try and get some months years for the release of the first 5 sets. There are some overlap of servos / receivers in sets but maybe not as many as you suggest. I do have later sets but mostly I'm interested in the earliest up to 1992 (up to the Tamiya Top-Force)

Very interesting and informative piece Jonny ! I'm just trying to get my earliest set back into life ....

Thanks Peter :)

I'd be very interested in seeing some hard data - even if it is from a magazine rather than straight from the manufacturer - as all anyone has so far is memories, informed supposition & the evidence of what's in cars ... none of which are 100% reliable.

I'm happy to put in something like "First appearance in Radio Race Car month year price** **thanks Peter Ellis" (or more) for each mark - I think that would be a very useful addition :)

re your comments on the mark IV Technidrive ... TBH I think you're wrong - at least until I see some prices;)
I distinctly remember schoolmates having those in various cars, principally the Wild One and the Fox. It maybe that the mark IV was more than the mark III, but there can't have been much in it - part of the reason Acoms were more successful in terms of units sold than Futaba was they were cheaper, at least in my area. The Comprehensive I went to in South Cambridgeshire can hardly be considered deprived, but the

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 4 months ago #3882

My Tamiya double sided colour leaflets for the Vanquish (58076) and Mud Blaster (58077) show the change from the Mk III Transmitter (Radio) to the MkV Transmitter. This equates to autumn 1989. I was a member of the original Tamiya Club in 1989 and received 4 leaflets showing cars 75 to 78 and the transmitters are shown on the 'schematic' side of the poster. I'll scan when I can to back this up.

Trying to find information on the Technidrive set seems to be like looking for a needle in a haystack, I'm sure there are some pictures on a Bagnalls Models advert - I will keep looking. Trying to find when the change from Mk.1 to Mk.2 came about is tricky as is when the Mk1 came out as the magazines of the time are competition orienteted and had little in the way of 'fun' (Tamiya/ Acoms ) stuff - even Mardave and Lectricar seemd to run with Futaba / Sanwa gear.

I will have a look through my late '70's RCM&E & Radio Modeller magazines to try and find when Acoms arrived via Riko.

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 4 months ago #4033

Added AP-227 MkII box - not in the greatest of condition, but was cheap, and came with a "free" near perfect TX :D

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 4 months ago #4194

Just to add (In case anybody might care), Apparently the AP201 uses a chip (MSL9362) instead of dicrete components. This chip has 4 channels making it relatively easy to convert these transmitters to 3ch or 4ch for use with the old 3-speeds (Or anything else that requires more than 2 channels). The Traxxas TQ3 uses a later version of the same chip. By the AP202, Acoms went back to using dicretes again (!? why?)

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 4 months ago #4357

Added photo of ARA-227 RX, and also an "RX antenna length" category ... Don't have many so far (this is from the outside edge of the case):
ARA-227: 995mm
AR-227FE: 449mm
AR-2/27: 489mm

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 4 months ago #4368

I've got a battered Technidrive tranny on my bench at the mo - give me a poke if you want pics/info of anything in particular & I'll try to help...

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 4 months ago #4370

Rx aerial lengths - I recently read up on aerials etc whilst trying to build a better portable one for my TV. We know that the lead length is (Should be) important, but they say that aerial length should be a direct factor of the wavelength to work properly, usually half or quarter for convenience. If frequency = speed of light/wavelength, then surely all aerials should be the same length (Or a factor of it) for a given frequency? Makes you wonder if they've actually worked it out or just bunged a lump of wire on that looks right!

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 12 years 4 months ago #4376

I've got a battered Technidrive tranny on my bench at the mo - give me a poke if you want pics/info of anything in particular & I'll try to help...

Thanks eddrick - I have one of those myself :D Really just looking for the power ouput & what RX/servos should come with it ... a NIB set or a "one owner" car with manual would do ;)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.