Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cleaning grubby used parts? 10 years 2 months ago #27601

• dreadly
  • dreadly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Sorry for the boring subject, but I am keen on finding out how others prefer to clean used grubby parts purchased from auction sites etc? We have all bought a 'gearbox' from an auction site described as 'as new' and opened it to find solid lumps of grease and dirt.

How do you clean such parts?

Myself, up until recently I would soak for 5mins in a little hot water with washing up liquid, then use kitchen towel to wipe and re-wash again as required... It was a long process.

I now have bough a little ultrasonic cleaner from Aldi, it was cheap but appears to be effective. Sometimes a little drop of washing up liquid does the job, other times I feed it a little corner of dishwasher tablet.

SO, what do you do?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cleaning grubby used parts? 10 years 2 months ago #27602

If its clogged up with old grease (you know the stuff that almost looks like sticky plastic and is turning green :sick: ) I remove that first by scrapping it off, wiping with these earsticks and papertowel then into the ultrasonic with a squishe of lemon dish liquid.

If after the first run it still looks the same I tend to use some car/bicycle degreaser and then back in the ultra for some more runs.
The following user(s) Liked this: GregM

Last edit: by waterbok.

Cleaning grubby used parts? 10 years 2 months ago #27603

I am like Waterbok. I remove the bigger of grease with paper and 1 or 2 bath with clean up liquid in the ultrasonic(only when the wheather permits it). After or during this bath, I brush it with nail brush and I dry it with paper towels.

Cleaning grubby used parts? 10 years 2 months ago #27605

Another vote for ultrasonic cleaning here - I've been using them on RC bits for just shy of two years & wouldn't go back to scrubbing bits in the sink again :blink: - diluted "Sea Clean" on brass & copper bits (seperately :whistle:), Lemon Fairy liquid on everything else.

One thing I've found with a big(ger) tank is that it can be pretty wasteful on cleaning products - I've used plastic takeaway tubs to reduce the volume in the past, this morning I got a bit lazy & tried a couple of gripseal bags :y:

Attachments:

Cleaning grubby used parts? 10 years 2 months ago #27606

HI!... I luv a product called GREASED LIGHTNING. Works just awesome. I let the parts soak in it for a few days and just take them out and rinse them off. Very rarely do I have to scrub them. If I do it's just with a small used tooth brush. Be careful though. Do not use this product on Anodized items. It is also a anodizing remover.

Cleaning grubby used parts? 10 years 2 weeks ago #28205

Hi, I use a product called KH7, It's for general cleansing, but once I dismantled a TA1, put the parts on a bucket and sprayed the KH7 on them, on minutes all the gunk dripped down letting the parts at only a dry towel of being really 'as new' and with lemon smell. It worked even on gears.

Cleaning grubby used parts? 8 years 3 weeks ago #37505

I've always sprayed things well with CRC (or similar), let sit for 48 hours, then blow out really well with compressed air. Once done I go over them with a clean rag to remove any left over residue. It leaves everything shiney, looking like new & helps identify damage or wear. Works on all types of parts although if metal it might need further attention and/or polishing. Just be aware that if there's any decals/stickers already starting to peel off the CRC breaks down the glue & makes it easy to remove them.

It looks like we all use the same type of sprays & the name is the only thing different.
My other car is a Tamiya - bumper sticker on my van

Last edit: by rcmadkiwi.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.