Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spare Parts 8 years 3 weeks ago #37506

Most sets once built have a small selection of unused parts, even the used vehicles can come with a selection of new & used parts. Hold on to them (you'd be surprised how many don't) as you never know when you'll need them. I got three containers with partitions which was about a quarter full at the beginning & after the years of restoring I had to get more containers to fit it all in. Makes restoring anything used easy as many of the parts that show age can be found there. Plus you never know when you'll eventually get another vehicle with the same chassis & parts. Moral of the story is when you sell any RC vehicle hold onto everything that wasn't used.
My other car is a Tamiya - bumper sticker on my van

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rcmadkiwi.

Spare Parts 8 years 3 weeks ago #37510

I am also one that keeps the spare parts of my models. On the other hand, I don't drive my models, so spares are really not needed... :blink:
I tend to let go of spares as soon as I have restored the models where the parts apply. Figuring out what parts fits what chassis is one of the reasons I made the Parts/Mode DataBase :)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Spare Parts 8 years 3 weeks ago #37512

I don't run with my cars and the spares I have serve for next projects or help somebody. 3 containers in my mess and other at parents home.

Spare Parts 8 years 3 weeks ago #37551

I am also one that keeps the spare parts of my models. On the other hand, I don't drive my models, so spares are really not needed... :blink:
I tend to let go of spares as soon as I have restored the models where the parts apply. Figuring out what parts fits what chassis is one of the reasons I made the Parts/Mode DataBase :)

Murphy's law stipulates that anything given away will be needed again eventually. I've restored some of the popular models several times to help fund getting something else & having spares always helped. This process has always dramatically reduced the cost to my pocket & I couldn't enjoy the hobby like I do without it.

Spare Parts 8 years 3 weeks ago #37554

Unless the spares are utterly rare, truly sharing some will create a pool that doesn't run dry quickly...
I think the members on this site have shown great examples of that.

Last edit: by Edou.

Spare Parts 8 years 3 weeks ago #37555

Unless the spares are utterly rare, truly sharing some will create a pool that doesn't run dry quickly...
I think the members on this site have shown great examples of that.

That's just it though, I'm happy to help sharing parts I don't need & are unlikely to use. But if we don't retain them then this isn't possible & if you pass anything on there's no guarantee the next person will be willing to share. I did have a huge stash of new & used parts I'd accumulated throughout the years. Anything I didn't need or want was auctioned indivually. But I've held onto everything for my vintage runners & any vintage Tamiya buggy parts in the hope I'd get to restore another one. But I fully agree in making vintage parts available for those doing their vintage RC vehicle. When/if I get the time I'll check what I've got but after reading this thread I wish I didn't get rid of so much as I was pretty ruthless clearing out the room.

Last edit: by rcmadkiwi.

Spare Parts 8 years 3 weeks ago #37558

if you pass anything on there's no guarantee the next person will be willing to share.

It's not a random choice to start with but a small circle of people that are trustworthy and not thinking about dollar signs...
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG, stingray-63, AndyAus

Spare Parts 8 years 2 weeks ago #37794

if you pass anything on there's no guarantee the next person will be willing to share.

It's not a random choice to start with but a small circle of people that are trustworthy and not thinking about dollar signs...

That's fine if you're only offering them here to other Tamiya fanatics but I've always auctioned what I don't want to keep at $1 reserve. Some of the long term RC hobbyists in NZ are a rule to themself & only share if it's only to their advantage. Even when you have something one of them really wants if you don't offer it cheap enough they all start getting nasty & it's the main reason I only do $1 reserve auctions now.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.