Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wild Willy M38 Grill 5 years 1 month ago #54276

Hello!

I've come a cross a few reproduction grills but none of them seem to be a identical match to the original m38 grill. Would I be right in thinking there isn't one available in today's market?

They look very similar but not exactly the same. The holes where the winch connects to the grill seem to be different on the reproduction ones.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wild Willy M38 Grill 5 years 1 month ago #54277

Have you tried the radiator of the wild.willy2 tree?

Wild Willy M38 Grill 5 years 1 month ago #54278

I think the guys who put them online either reinforced the grill or made it look more like the real deal, have to check on one I got from Shapeways which looked close to the Tamiya one.

Problemen with the 3D printing bwas the thickness imo the Tamiya ABS is stiffer material.

Wild Willy M38 Grill 5 years 1 month ago #54281

Hello!

I've come a cross a few reproduction grills but none of them seem to be a identical match to the original m38 grill. Would I be right in thinking there isn't one available in today's market?

They look very similar but not exactly the same. The holes where the winch connects to the grill seem to be different on the reproduction ones.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You're quite right - the one I had from Shapeways (which I used on my fake M38) had slightly thicker vertical bars and reworked winch mounting points, which also made the winch sit a few mm lower ... apologies for the poor picture, I didn't take a decent/separate photo.

Part of you problem is that Improvements to a component, both in terms of structural strength and/or realism are permitted (or at least arguable) under the concept of "fair use", a straight copy is a lot more problematic.

To be continued ...
Attachments:

Wild Willy M38 Grill 5 years 1 month ago #54282

There's also (or was, I bought mine in 2012) an aluminium version with the winch mount points in a more correct place, but the details on the bottom corners are absent, and you need to supply your own indicator lamps & radiator. I left mine shiny:

I guess the other option is to make your own in layers of styrene :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Wild Willy M38 Grill 5 years 1 month ago #54283

Have you tried the radiator of the wild.willy2 tree?

That would be the one which - as you pointed out - is styled after the M151, not the M38? ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Wild Willy M38 Grill 5 years 1 month ago #54287

Thanks Jonny

Wild Willy M38 Grill 5 years 3 weeks ago #54425

Oh thanks! Great feedback. I would guess my best bet is to buy a reproduction one from shapeways.

I suppose it’s a good thing not reproducing exact matches as takes away the authenticness and devalues the model.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.