Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Helicoils. 5 years 3 weeks ago #54363

• caprinut
  • caprinut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
Anyone used helicoils to fix screw holes in their chassis?

Currently I have a Fox chassis that have a couple of holes in the chassis that has no bite to them, so the screws won't bite porperly.
I do however received a pack of helicoils for M3 screws this morning, which I will try out.

I obviously have to change from tapper screws to machine screws, and will ofcouse use vintage gold ones for the correct look.

Also found a helicoil chart online which said M3 helicoils need a 3.1mm drill bit.
I have no such thing, so do I use 3mm or 3.2mm pop rivet drill bit?
Only thing of my concerns, is the helicoils are a bit short...

I could go for a Novafox chassis if I was lazy, but I want to maintain the chassis vintage.
Re-re chassis also have the servo holes in the wrong spot, which is another reason to maintain the orginal chassis.

Any inputs?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Helicoils. 5 years 3 weeks ago #54365

I've used Helicoils (in the generic sense, actual brands were "V-Coil" from South Essex Fasteners and the catchily named :whistle: "Thread Repairing Kit"s from Chronos Ltd) on pot metal RC parts and on various styrene scratchbuillds, for instance anywhere there's a fastener on my Combine Harvester, there's a thread insert rather than bare styrene threads - but I can't say I've ever specifically used them on Tamiya plastic parts.

You really need other tools tool: a tap of the correct size, a holder to drive it, a drill bit of the right size for the tap, a key to drive the insert in, and the correct size tool to break ther tang off the insert. It's better value to get a "kit" than individual parts, but it's not a cheap option ... especially if you have to buy kits for different sizes & different length inserts.

re your inserts being too short, they are available in different lengths, usually expressed as a multiple of the nominal thread diameter (e.g. 0.5D, 2D) in 0.5 increments up to 3D, so for an M3 insert those examples would be 1.5mm, 6mm and 9mm long respectively. For instance if you were looking for regular pitch M3 inserts 4.5mm long, you'd look for M3 x 05.mm 1.5D (size x pitch, multiple of nominal size). I've bought inserts in bulk (relatively speaking) from China & they were fine for what I've used them for.

:)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Helicoils. 5 years 3 weeks ago #54366

Just looked in my M3 kit, supplied drill bit is 3.1mm, and the tap is an M3 x 0.5 2nd :)

Helicoils. 5 years 3 weeks ago #54368

• caprinut
  • Away

Just looked in my M3 kit, supplied drill bit is 3.1mm, and the tap is an M3 x 0.5 2nd :)

Thanky for your reply, helpful as allways :y:

I had no idea what the D stands for, now I know.
So I ordered some more in size D2.5 and D3.

In my tool bin, I do own taps and punches in several sizes so I think I'm good there.
Have used bigger helicoils on 1:1 cars in the past with great success and with regular tools.

The only bit I did know of the helicoils were the 0.5 standing for wall thickness of the helicoil.

And in regards on helicoils on styrene, that have not hit my mind at all when doing stuff in styrene.
But I do remember some of your bits have helicoils fitted, it did not sunk in before now :laugh:

Thank you Jonny!
I'll let you all know how it goes a bit later :)

Helicoils. 5 years 3 weeks ago #54432

This version looks pretty handy as well.
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Helicoils. 5 years 3 weeks ago #54436

• caprinut
  • Away

This version looks pretty handy as well.

Very handy indeed with 1/4" drive :y:
Too bad norwegian postal service will have, tax and handling fee on top on everything above £31, which this is with the added shipping cost.
To me this will cost me a hair under £60 :blink:
But looks like a very good kit :)

But the kit Jonny linked to, cost me 29 quid delivered, which is under the tax limit.
The last kit may come direct to my postbox if I'm lucky, but still 32 quid, but you never know if the bastards at the system stops my package.
But then, 32 is much better than 60 quid :laugh:

Last edit: by caprinut.

Helicoils. 5 years 2 weeks ago #54458

Looks better than it works :(

The insert tool doesn't grab the coil correctly, with friction it slides out from under the coil and bend it sideways.
Attachments:

Last edit: by waterbok.

Helicoils. 5 years 2 weeks ago #54459

Looks better than it works :(...

I can only vouch for the smaller (M2, M3, M4) kits - the key you get with them doesn't have threads on it, and has a slot that grips the whole of the breakaway tang part of the insert (like the negative image of a flat bladed screwdriver) ... could you modify the insertion tool by slotting it with a very thin Dremel cutoff wheel?

Helicoils. 5 years 2 weeks ago #54464

Yeah my plan as well, it's just so f.ing tiny.
But first I want complain at Völkel about the quality.

Helicoils. 5 years 2 weeks ago #54529

Update, got a call back from the manufacturer.
They will send me a new insert tool. Had a nice talk with the sales technician.
So more later.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.