Keyword

TOPIC:

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 4 years 7 months ago #56062

Sorry yes got that rpm counter also finished an electronics box and added an voltage and amp meter as well.

The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 4 years 7 months ago #56063

Have seen some PWM with intergrated rpm counter
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 4 years 7 months ago #56131

Sorry yes got that rpm counter also finished an electronics box and added an voltage and amp meter as well.

If you don't mind, could you please list what components you bought for your lathe motor? I'm rebuilding an early cast iron unimat that doesn't have a motor and I get a little bewildered when it comes to what electrical components I need.

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 4 years 7 months ago #56132

If you don't mind, could you please list what components you bought for your lathe motor? I'm rebuilding an early cast iron unimat that doesn't have a motor and I get a little bewildered when it comes to what electrical components I need.

For starters a DC motor, i have the 24V, 150W, ZY6812
Got it from a UK ebay seller of e scooter parts
A DC 24v minimum 200 watt powersuply.
And a PWM - 12V~40V 10A DC Motor Speed Control
For the PWM there are some more options like wirh the integrated RPM counter (have to install the sensor somewhere for that.)

Last edit: by waterbok.

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 4 years 7 months ago #56142

These are the specific bits I'm using on my Unimat SL:
- 24v 120w ZY6812 Motor
- 24v 15A 360W PSU
- 9-60v 20A PWM speed controller

:)

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 4 years 6 months ago #56741

Working on a stage/storage unit for my Unimat - the idea is to make the setup a bit more portable, so that means inlays in the drawers to stop stuff rattling around, and hopefully not vibrate when the thing is in use.

Left drawer layout on inlay board, prior to drilling & cutting out:

Layout for right drawer, unfortunately I destroyed the plywood inlay while cutting it out with a jigsaw ...

... which is not surprising when you look at the template I made for my 2nd attempt in styrene:

THings continue to go wrong, here I've made the inlay upside down so have had to glue an extra "top" panel to get trimmed right down later:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok, jord001

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 4 years 6 months ago #56748

Finished ... I'm not sure about the rubber isolators the Unimat is sitting on, I'll just have to try it & see. I may end up screwing it down directly to the top (more stiffness, but more vibration). Interior of drawers is clearly the idealised version - they'll end up getting filled & untidy with allen keys, impromtu tooling/spacers, more cutters, swarf etc etc. Colour is a mixture of "teal" self adhesive felt & home mixed Tamiya X/XF acylics airbrushed on - not too bad a match considering I didn't have the felt in front of me at the time of mixing, just a photo on the eBay listing.

Things I would do differently:
- definitely make it a bit taller, even an extra 10mm would have made it so much easier on my knuckles when doing the machine screws up;
- have lower sides/back on the drawers to clear the machine screws without notching the drawers

:)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 4 years 6 months ago #56779

WOW, nice storage tray !
Love it
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 3 years 1 month ago #64234

PSU failed last night, wasn't even using it & had just plugged it in when there was a blue flash from the fan area, a moderately loud "FTTT!!!" noise, followed by every bit of equipement not on a UPS powering down.

Paid extra to have a new 24V, 15A unit delivered today & that now has the speed control attached & is working fine, but having replaced both the PSU and the speed controller already, I'm thinking I need to have a spare setup ready to go ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, jord001

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 3 years 2 weeks ago #64970

New PSU didn't last very long at all, the 2nd time I came to use it the fan wasn't working at at :(

The speed is meant to increase with power drawn and/or temperature, I'd hoped to bypass the circuit & hook it up directly to the 24v outputs, but it turned out to be a 14v (?) fan.

The 24v fan I bought turned out to twice as thick as the one fitted, but only 1 or 2mm too thick to get the lid on. I fitted it outside, but then had to wait to get a 60mm grille.

The new fan is too loud to want to have it running all the time, so I hooked it up to the speed control ... it;s slightly better in that it's not running all the time, but starts with a screeching sound ... think TEU101BK ESC multipled by dragging two cats down a blackboard :blink:

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.