Keyword

TOPIC:

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 5 months ago #26327

Deutsche Grundlichkeit (I presume) that'll open up a load of fabrication doors. B)
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26328

The Unimat looks great - better (and tidier) than in your earlier photos :y:

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26332

Took the main machine apart and cleaned it and put some fresh oil and grease in.
Nice and shiny B) have to get new belt those are toast.
Jonny I saw somebody who offers do it yourself 5mm belt on ebay, might that be any good?

Next step cleaning the chucks and take the saw unit apart.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26333

... have to get new belt those are toast.
Jonny I saw somebody who offers do it yourself 5mm belt on ebay, might that be any good?

Mine came with 3 sets of black rubber / o-ring belts, 2 of the small ones failed really quickly so I bought 3 sets of welded orange urethane ones instead ... the 1st small one also failed really quickly :huh:

The 2nd one is lasting better as I've made a conscious effort to "park" it with the joins left with the least load - i.e. straight, not touching the pulleys.

:)

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26334

Had a go with the rest of the parts that came in the package.

Jigsaw

Mechanism

Drilling/Milling options

Well worth the money, if I compare it to my Bruiser, much better toy around factor for something that old. ;) :y:

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26335

this would look great as a shelfer :laugh:

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26340

ordered some raw material to play with, aluminium, pvc, pom, polymid, brass and v2a.

belt is complicated, apperently there are different SL models with different belt lengths :huh:
ordered 1 mtr do it yourself belt first.

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26341

ordered some raw material to play with, aluminium, pvc, pom, polymid, brass and v2a....

I'd like to know how you get on with the Stainless Steel ... I bought a bit of Silver Steel & suspect that might be a bit much for the Unimat :whistle: :blink:

belt is complicated, apperently there are different SL models with different belt lengths :huh:
ordered 1 mtr do it yourself belt first.

I've yet to be convinced of that, I've only seen anecdotal evidence that two people worldwide (out of something like 400,000 Unimats made) couldn't use the standard length belts ... Personally I wouldn't rule out someone putting a pulley on backwards, mixing them up, or confusion with a slow speed widget, power feed or watchmaker spindle pulleys :whistle:

If it helps, my pulley & belt dimensions are:
- Motor & Idler pulleys: 42mm Outside Diameter
- Spindle Pulley: 85mm OD
- Black rubber belts: 58.5mm and 85mm OD (these were far too tight IMO and caused a lot of extra heat and noise)
- Orange Polyurethane belts: 70.5mm & 102.5mm OD (these feel a bit loose, especially when warm, but don't slip).

:)

Re:Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26342

V2A is only 5mm diam. and 100 long, Will see if i can get a dent in it, not expecting too much there. :)

Will do some google on the belts, also need one for the autofeed.

btw. this is my pully setup

edit some measurement from 2 ebay sellers:
SL older version 2 belts, 70 & 100mm dia.
SL later version 3 belts, 45, 67 & 70mm dia. (think that that is the double reduction gearing option)

Unimat SL Micro Lathe 10 years 4 months ago #26359

The weld on the 2nd (orange plastic) short belt has failed, despite scrupulously parking it every time :angry: ... it did give me a chance to measure the free length though - 218mm.

I've tried making my own short belt from one of the spare long ones (cut, heat with mini butane torch, squish together, hold until cool, trim off excess with nail clippers) - 230mm (probably losing 2.5mm from joining) was far too long, 225mm (again, minus something) looks too floppy but still grips plenty - I'll have to see how that goes ...

@ waterbok - where did you get the belting from? I've only looked on eBay UK so far, but there are no obvious sources of the raw material :(

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.