Keyword

TOPIC:

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #13667

Anyway, I blame this forum entirely for this impulse buy!
Cheap though!
Anyone got a Mardave Meteor bodyshell for sale/trade?

Here :)

I can see why you went for it ... wheels look to be the later - and larger - dish type (rather than the earlier 6-hole), which should mean you can get off road tyres for it :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #13671

Thanks for the link JR. There was a Meteor body mould/former on the 'bay a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if that guy bought that...

Are the later wheels standard 2.2 inch dia?? Handy if they are. The tyres on there are either very bald, or indoor sponge types.
I actually have a couple of Apache rear wheels with knobbly tyres and (unfortunately) ONE front wheel/tyre.
I assume Cobra wheels with fit too.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #13673

Thanks for the link JR. There was a Meteor body mould/former on the 'bay a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if that guy bought that...

No, "handsman" has been making Meteor shells for much longer than that buck has been up for sale :)

...Are the later wheels standard 2.2 inch dia?? Handy if they are. The tyres on there are either very bald, or indoor sponge types.
I actually have a couple of Apache rear wheels with knobbly tyres and (unfortunately) ONE front wheel/tyre.
I assume Cobra wheels with fit too.

I wouldn't count on it - Meteor wheels are held on with circlips, Cobras with screws ... the reat might me the same diameter but the front isn't ... although that could possibly be sorted with different bearings (assuming you use Cobra front with provision for bearings). :)

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #13794

Oh me like this, two weeks holiday and on return loads of thingies waiting to get unwrapped.

:) :side: :silly: :laugh:

- set of used HI-Cap dampers (including the mounting stuff Yes!)

- Roofspoiler for Willy's Wheeler (Just got to get rid of the paint)

- another Manta Ray, broken front shock but I guess I will easely find another one, tires are little dry but good enough for some bashing, think after rebuild it will become a blazing star. (1 MR basher, 1 shelf MR and 1 BS)

- Wild Willy J Parts tree, mint bumper, nice

- Universals, don't know what these are from

- Anybody in need of a 40 am receiver?

pics will follow later

interested if you still have it
abs for show lexan for go!

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #13893

Arrived today. Not too bad. A bit grubby and rusty.

Interesting sponge "tyres" - too narrow for the wheels. I think these are actually the sponge inserts for the tyres. Can someone confirm this?

Underside not too bad. Rear bumper distinctly homemade.

"Mod" for battery access :sick:

Looks a lot better after a scrub in the sink.

Motor is a Kyosho "Super Stock" - is this any good? Has replacable brushes.
Gearbox and diff feel smooth enough.
Steering is completely seized solid which needs investigation. Most of the screws and pins are pretty rusty, so probably just needs a good clean up.
Anyone know a cheap source of tyres for this? Will any Tamiya ones fit? (or are Tamiya and "cheap" mutually exclusive? :laugh: )

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #13906

Arrived today. Not too bad. A bit grubby and rusty.

Interesting sponge "tyres" - too narrow for the wheels. I think these are actually the sponge inserts for the tyres. Can someone confirm this?
Underside not too bad. Rear bumper distinctly homemade.
"Mod" for battery access :sick:
Looks a lot better after a scrub in the sink.

Motor is a Kyosho "Super Stock" - is this any good? Has replacable brushes.
Gearbox and diff feel smooth enough.
Steering is completely seized solid which needs investigation. Most of the screws and pins are pretty rusty, so probably just needs a good clean up.
Anyone know a cheap source of tyres for this? Will any Tamiya ones fit? (or are Tamiya and "cheap" mutually exclusive? :laugh: )

IIRC Mardave tyres have never had inserts, but they could be inserts from a different brand ...

Usual suspect for siezed steering is the mild steel pin the servo saver turns on - you need to take off the steering rods & the circlip (beraing in mind everything is spring loaded), it "should" come off then, tickle with wet n dry paper & put a bit of grease on :)

I just checked the dish wheels on my later Meteor, they are 2.2" which should mean there are a lot of modern buggy (not Tamiya) tyres to choose from - do watch the sidewall heights for the rears as 2.2" is also a popular crawler tyre size...

I guess what you go for will depend on the surface you paln to use the car on, what you like the look of, or price ... A quick goosey on eBay reveals:

Fronts:
Cheapeast (

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #13991

A visit to a friend at the weekend netted me a replacement battery end thingy. :y:

Also, a brand-new, never used Mardave Marauder gearbox case and some other bits and pieces. :)

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #14111

Another pointless fanboy purchase from me - square Tamiya pencils :whistle:

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #14131

Nice one JR :)

Bought this for my little boy, hope he likes it :laugh: (i do) lol

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936
Attachments:

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 11 years 5 months ago #14135

Finaly in store at Seidel, now waiting for the balldiff and the black parts to become available.

Last edit: by waterbok.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 2.419 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.