Keyword

TOPIC:

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 10 years 5 months ago #26063

Not my thread so no probs there, but carefull Edou lives around the corner ;-)

DF01 upgrade - 53109 Turnbuckle Shaft Set, but you cant replace the link between the two steerarms as said no room without removing something.

Are you going to replace the XB tub? am looking for some XB MR parts. :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by waterbok.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 10 years 5 months ago #26064

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Luckily I don't mind either - indeed I seem to be only minutes away. :side:
For camber adjustment, you could use some 3Racing titanium turnbuckles as well.
I think 38mm for the front and 42mm for the rear are the lengths that match best.
No simple solution for the steering, like waterbok said...

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 10 years 5 months ago #26065

Glad I didn't offend anyone ;)

Thanks for the tips.

Edou, I'm over in Vruchtenbuurt. Are you close by?

I'll take a look at some of those turnbuckles and see what fits. Need my order from asiatees to arrive before I commit to buying any more parts that might or might not fit this build. Also found a reasonably priced supplier of M3 turnbuckles on ebay in various lengths that should work for this project.

I've ordered the silver steering upgrade as well. If room is an issue to replace the stock tie-rod end with a ball cap then I'll just swap out the end on the steering knuckle with a ball cap. Should reduce some of the slop.

Sorry waterbok, I'll be keeping the XB chassis for this build. There's appears be a nice FRP TC chassis on marktplaats (sure Edou has seen it), but the price is out of my budget.

I might start my own thread once I get my upgrade parts, don't see too many XB MR chassis ;)

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 10 years 5 months ago #26066

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Stukkie over de Laan van Meerdervoort, vlakbij het Valkenbosplein. :)

Looking and buying's on the low at the moment here so I hadn't seen the FRP car on MP.
Was actually contemplating on selling some DF-01 stuff again (cry)...

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 10 years 5 months ago #26067

That is close by ;-)

Let me know if you decide to part with any DF-01 stuff. I'm sure my son will need (want) some parts for his Dirt Thrasher soon.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 10 years 5 months ago #26068

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Will do (although I'm trying to avoid selling more than I have already). :y:
The Thrasher's cool, the only buggy shell I have left myself...

Actually went to school at het Colijnplein btw (and my best friends lived in de Tomatenstraat).

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 10 years 4 months ago #26503

Morning Gents,

I've installed the GPM steering assembly exactly as Waterbok did in my DF-01 bath tub chassis. The XB chassis is slightly different but not at the front end.

I noticed some buzzing from the steering servo at full lock so began trying to find the fault. Buzzing from the servo at full lock would suggest it's straining to move it's full range. It appears that the thin metal bar that holds the two assembly arms together (replaces the original bent piece of wire) hits the mounting points before the servo can travel to full lock.

The orginal thin piece of bent wire was much thinner and I assume allowed more steering travel.

I'm not going back to the orginal steering set up so I'm looking for suggestions on how to save my servo from burining out as it strains to get to full lock which it can never acheive.

I am using the stock transmitter so I don't have adjustable EPA, that would have been a nice easy fix!

I tried adjusting the lenth of the tie rod that connects the servo horn to the steering assembly but didn't find a suitable set up.

I'm thinking if I used a shorter servo horn, the reduced length would result in less steering travel and might fix the problem. I thought I'd run it past you guys before I start buying parts that won't fix the problem.

Thanks in advance. I can try and throw up a picture if my explanation doesn't make any sense ;-)

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 10 years 4 months ago #26507

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Sounds like the best approach to me... it's the piece that has the most direct influence on the steering angle.
Remembering from my Grasshopper this summer I fiddled around with a lot of other tweaks - to no avail.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60163

Sorry to dig this up after so long... I just noticed that the TA01 tub seems abit different than the DF01's, but they should be fundementally the same thing right?

Because the front part of the TA01 tub seems to have less material; so i am wondering if that would help with bellcrank linkage mod.

Or alternatively... how about a TA01 carbon chassis?

Once again sorry for diggiing this up from the land of the lost; i just bought a DF01 Porsche Cayenne; its on its way to me, and i am plotting what and how best to build it with the least slop possible. Its my first Tamiya shaft chassis.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60235

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
A bit late to see this. And it 's been a while since I built anything - but yes, the DF-01 and TA01 chassis should be identical.

To be honest, I remember this was a lot more work than I anticipated. I wouldn't frivolously recommend modifying a chassis like I did. A carbon chassis is awesome of course and the steering setup is more accurate but I would just build the Cayenne first (It's a nice one by the way) and then see if you really think it's worth it.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.