Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help with original Super Champ value 3 years 7 months ago #61489

Hello everyone. I registered to request help with an approximate value to a Super Champ in my possession. It was my father's and I used it a fair bit growing up myself. He finally gave me permission to sell it and put the funds toward a new car for my own son. Figured this was the smarter move than trying to fix up something vintage for a youngster that could care less about nostalgia.
1. The car itself. As far as I know, all the parts are there. Are all the parts in good condition? Definitely not. It's seen its share of abuse, no disagreeing with that. Have original shell for it and is in pieces. Could be used as a beater shell maybe? Contemplating leaving that out of the listing.
2. Spare motor and tire. Worthless I imagine.
3. BNIB Super Champ shell. I would assume this is where the value is? I've dug through old posts and I've seen a WIDE range of prices. This was before the new production model came out as well (2014?). So I'm expecting that prices have fluctuated widely and could use some help giving me a ballpark figure what I should start with if it's goes on ebay. Also not sure if it would be smarter to sell the BNIB shell separate from the car itself. Also, read somewhere selling worldwide might fetch more on the auction site. Any truth to that?
1. Value of BNIB shell? Car with beat up shell?
2. Sell separate or all togethor?
3. Sell on ebay worldwide or strictly U.S.?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Normally I'd dig into this and read and read and try to come to a conclusion myself but time is short right home-schooling 2 youngsters and both the wife and I working full-time.

Pete
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by peteopp.

Help with original Super Champ value 3 years 7 months ago #61491

The "BNIB" shell is definitely _not_ brand new - the paint devalues it significantly. You could still describe it as "new other" on eBay, but it's not going to appeal to the collector of new bits. still has quite a lot of value though.

The chassis looks complete (apart from the wrong rear wheels/tyres) and is probably better than average. Definitely leave the broken body shell in, and everything apart from the boxed "new" shell. it all adds provenance.

Opening the listing up to a worldwide audience may help the price, personally I don't buy "big" things from the US anymore due to the high shipping costs, slow sellers, import fees & the 20% tax. Other Europeans & Antipodeans may feel otherwise.

Value in the UK I'd say would be 200 to 250 GBP each for the car & the "new" body, I think less in the US (like 150 to 200 USD) due to it being a much bigger market.

Those are "buy it now" prices, auctions tend to bring less unless the stuff is really exceptional. High start prices and high reserves just put people off bidding.

Sentimental value = no extra dollars.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, mirrorman

Help with original Super Champ value 3 years 7 months ago #61499

Hey jonny, thanks for the advice. I didn't even realize initially that it had been painted. Seems obvious now.
Do you really think it would affect resale that much? I know all I can do is try, but in my eyes its complete and capable of being built and designed to new specifications to the builders desire. The current paint could easily be stripped off (and probably should). Maybe the full value you mention is for sealed boxes and untouched in any way? I figured everyone that bought these kits would build them, not to be used as a collectors piece so to speak.

Few things to think about. Thanks again.

Help with original Super Champ value 3 years 7 months ago #61500

The body has been painted. So, it is not nib . Only like new and unused. That removes some dollars.

Help with original Super Champ value 3 years 7 months ago #61503

I'd take a similarly pragmatic view of it myself - but if it had been untouched it might have been worth more like 300-350 GBP on a good day. Some people like that "just brought it home from the store" feeling. Not my thing, but then my preference for building things & losing almost all interest after might be seen as odd by the people for who running and/or racing is all.

The reason genuinely mint things from before there was such a thing as "collectors editions" are valuable is because BITD people like us immediately pulled our Star wars figures off the card, built those kits, ran those RC cars etc etc. The things that didn't get "destroyed" was a very, very small percentage.

I have some 70 year old, OO gauge (same track as HO, but slightly bigger scale) railway engines & rolling stock that came pristine in almost mint boxes ... it's nice to have them in great condition, but I can't help thinking that some kid must have had quite a sad childhood.

Help with original Super Champ value 2 years 9 months ago #67001

I wonder how peteopp went with this?     Originals are wonderfull to find, if that's your thing. 
The body kit would attract me more than the original chassis. I'm a sucker for box art and decal sheets .. 

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.