Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23011

Has anyone tried a complete rear end transplant from the new RM01 to an old RM MK.5 or MK.7 chassis? I've got a 956 that is missing half the rear axle and the spur is pretty sad.

Don't have a RM (of any age) myself but I did notice the vintage car has a 5mm axle while the RM-01 uses 6mm.
So that would have to fit through the hole in the gearcase at least (and a 1060 instead of 1050 bearing should be used)...

Edit - I reckon you mean a rear axle and diff parts transplant because the gearcase itself won't fit.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23013

Edit - I reckon you mean a rear axle and diff parts transplant because the gearcase itself won't fit.

Yes, exactly. The complete rear axle, diff and wheels using the original rear housing.

Looks like it might be worth a try. I'll update once I find all the parts needed.

Last edit: by ap6318.

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23014

Yes, please report back if it works because a definite answer would be great to know. :y:
I suspect both gearcases have the same width (might be worth trying to verify though), as well as length of the axle.
The latter I think because the bodies have the same width.
Besides that, motors rear plates are placed in the center on all RM cars. And not with offset like the later F cars...
My guess would be you could match the bits.

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23016

I'm doing some more research when it comes to axle offset at the moment...

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23017

And yes... they did do the offset thing like on the F chassis cars. An early chassis plate looks symmetrical :

An RM-01 lower brace has an offset (to center the motor) :

That means you'll run into some trouble with left and right spacing...
A challenge I would like to figure out myself as well though.
Attachments:

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23018

That means you'll run into some trouble with left and right spacing...
A challenge I would like to figure out myself as well though.

Not just some trouble... looked a little more and don't really see how you can make that work. :(
Biggest issue is that the spur will not be in the right place. And/or the motor axle won't be long enough.
On Group Cs and F cars there's a work around for the difference in offset because the gearcases are mostly identical...

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23052

Not just some trouble... looked a little more and don't really see how you can make that work. :(
Biggest issue is that the spur will not be in the right place. And/or the motor axle won't be long enough.
On Group Cs and F cars there's a work around for the difference in offset because the gearcases are mostly identical...

Thank you so much - you just saved me about $100 in parts I would never use. :S Looks like I'm back of the hunt for the old vintage parts. At least I can use the wheels :laugh:

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23053

Glad you didn't order any parts on account of my earlier post. :whistle:
The rear lower brace of the RM-01 looked very symmetrical in the perspective of the manual...

A good alternative for a rear axle would be to make one yourself.
Could even be carbon if you like (don't inhale the dust though).

B)

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23058

HI!... If you good on a lathe you can make a aluminum adapter to run any spur gear you want. That's what I'm in the process of doing currently. Mine will be set-up for Traxxas spur gears since every LHS has tons of these around here.

Toyota Tom's RM-01 wheels vs. vintage? 10 years 9 months ago #23059

Awesome, that's some serious modifying. :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.