Keyword

TOPIC:

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21981

I know Jonny did a whole thread about the silvercan history :

www.tamiyabase....mitstart=0

Dating the 380 might give some new clues. Don't have that know-how myself. :blush:
One photo that might tell a bit more is one from the top, preferably without the electronics.
Looks like the spot to mount the MSC is a bit different on a Roadrunner at least :

Photo borrowed from Twmaster on TC :

www.tamiyaclub....839&id=851

Tbh, the plastic did seem a bit darker/shinier/harder than I remember.
Which really doesnt say much about the origin in itself.

Edit - a simple chassis switch wouldn't account for the adjusters btw...

great pic , it shows blanks clearly where the tamiya stamps were ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21983

:blush: Sorry I didn't see it. I had black nut too on my first GH. But they are withe with a without fuse msc on my second one I bought some years ago.
The following user(s) Liked this: biggamehunter

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21985

:blush: Sorry I didn't see it. I had black nut too on my first GH. But they are withe with a without fuse msc on my second one I bought some years ago.

thanks greatly stinray , its just strange ? i have edit the post on page 1 now with clear pics of the msc glass fuse and the msc seat area , im baffled now , just think the hornet roof decal slogan and stars , and the black rod ends but white front axle carriers is too much tamiya , and the car is all original , ? thanks for your input though its very much appreciated :y:

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21987

;) I had a very early GH when I were a kid and it dead. Some years later I found another Grass strictly stock but different. wihte nuts and "standard" MSC. Strange too :lol:

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21989

i just noticed on the pic of the knock off , theres something written under the front servo , just cant make it out ? im going to rmove mine now to see if theres anything under there , dont think its been out since fitting originaly , will report back now .

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21990

Besides the missing "off roader", the indentations to clamp the wiring also seems to be missing on the Roadrunner.
Couldn't tell from the pics about the MSC mount but I do see these on your pics.
I don't think a clone brand would make two molds for any car...
My guess - it's a Tamiya. Be it an elusive one.

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21992

To clarify, the holes opposite the MSC mount look open on a Grasshopper (and your car), while closed on the Roadrunner.

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21994

B) HE HE,
I know why it is off roader stamped on your chassis. It is a very early version. The late version have a hole for the front body mount for the hornet. Mine has just the stars and tamiya stamped and it is smaller. (:blush: if I all understoud what you write on the begining)
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, biggamehunter

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21996

I know Jonny did a whole thread about the silvercan history :

Well I tried to start one with a load of supposition to be community proved/disproved/improved ... turned out it was a lot more complicated than I thought, plus no-one was really that bothered ;)

Can't really help you out on the Grasshopper ... I know it's not a re-re chassis (which you already knew :whistle:) as they cut out for the sticky out bit on a hump pack is not entirely cut out on them ... I had an early Grasshopper back in the day (IIRC bought at the end of July 1984, the official release date for the 'Hopper was the 14th of May 1984), that had a glass fuse/holder on it & you had to fit your own battery plug, it also had white balljoints ... I don't remember what the chassis marking were :(

:)

edit - & a "natural" (white) plastic endbell 380 motor :)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

has anybody seen this before ? please help 10 years 9 months ago #21999

To clarify, the holes opposite the MSC mount look open on a Grasshopper (and your car), while closed on the Roadrunner.

thanks greatly for your interest and help guys , i can oficialy confirm its a tamiya grasshopper very early very short run car ,and they are srb type rod ends ,,, after seeing the pic you posted of the knock off chassis and noticing something written under the front servo , i removed mine for the first time and BINGO !!!!! "made in japan" and BCC THE GRASSHOPPER !!!

just left to find out now how rare ?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.