Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Storage 8 years 11 months ago #34002

Are there any tips for the storage of RC gear. For example - removing batteries from vehicles / controllers. Do you store your controllers in the styrene foam / cardboard or just in plastic bags etc. The reason I ask is I am trying to cut down on cardboard in the unit as they promote bugs where as plastic tubs / bags there is less likely hood and easier to seal.

Your help / advice would be appreciated

Cheers Vincenzo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Storage 8 years 11 months ago #34005

Are there any tips for the storage of RC gear. For example - removing batteries from vehicles / controllers. Do you store your controllers in the styrene foam / cardboard or just in plastic bags etc. The reason I ask is I am trying to cut down on cardboard in the unit as they promote bugs where as plastic tubs / bags there is less likely hood and easier to seal.

Your help / advice would be appreciated

Cheers Vincenzo

Most of my transmitters are hanging up indoors, most don't have batteries in but the ones that do either have a green tag (put away with voltage still high), or a yellow tag (put away with a few runs worth of power left, so need checking occasionally). There's no red tag as that's recycling time. Recently I've been thinking that cheapo shower caps might be a way to keep the balsa dust & dremmelled filler dust at bay.

My cars don't have AA batteries in them - runners have ESCs, shelfers have fakes, or nothing.

Drive batteries I store in a metal toolbox & check periodically at the very least. TBH though I think the #1 safety rule for batteries is "no unsupervised charging".

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: Vincenzo

Storage 8 years 11 months ago #34006

Thank-you and I understand. All my vehicles either will have or do have ESC's so no batteries there. Main reason i asked was aside from the cutting down of cardboard, was also if, for example I was to sell a vehicle, would it be better with the controller in a proper box or loose and just were there any dangers involved with keeping them loose.

Cheers Vincenzo

Storage 8 years 11 months ago #34008

If you mean does being boxed influence the resale value, then that's a different question ... off the top of my head I would say yes, keeping the box will increase its value by a small amount.

I don't have any data to support that for used radios, but looking at my notes on ebay sales for vintage Tamiya cars I did see the pattern I expected: for the LWB Wild Willy the arithmetic mean figure for unboxed cars was 128 GBP, 192 (so + 50%) for boxed & 532 for NIB. Repeating the exercise for the Ranger gave averages of 173, 194 (+12%) & 1002 GBP respectively.

Obviously those are also old - I don't think you'd find the same result with newer stuff.

My thoughts - keep the boxes for anything old (pre 1990?) and/or high end, the rest probably aren't worth the bother.

:)

Storage 8 years 11 months ago #34010

I see, the only new in box I have that is old is the Midnight Pumpkin. The radios are are all Sanwa basic 29 Mhz but I do have a couple of Futaba 2PL and the Mars EX1.

cheers Vincenzo

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.