Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re:Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36870

Rear suspension setup, the deck between front and rear. Would be the main bit.
Get the SRB manuals and you can compare. ThinkTamiya USA now have most of them freely available.
Or search for super champ or ranger builds. There are also threads that discuss the differences of the SRB models.
Just google and you will find or search the forum.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36871

Thanks for your help, I'd like to keep the super champ as close to original as possible, what are the differences between the super champ and ranger chassis?

These are the TB pages on the two cars: Ranger , Super Champ , basically all other SRBs ("Special Racing Buggy") starting with the Rough Rider have dampers each side at the rear, a clear radio/battery box in the middle, pipe clamps holding the rear cage to the roll loop, and a whippy spring wire antenna.

The Sand Scorcher has different wheels/tyres, a front body post extension, and a different body.

The Ranger again has different wheels & tyres, different body, a taller front body mount extension, and a lower rear roll loop with a body fitting on top.

The Super Champ was last in the line & was supposedly improved by taking away the clear mechanism box & replacing it with a small GRP upper deck, and it also got a mono shock rear end with assorted fittings/brackets etc for that. It reverted to the Rough Rider front body mount, Rough RIder/Sand Scorcher roll loop (but lost the pipe clamps - the tie wraps are correct), got a different body, reverted to the Sand Scorcher wheels & front tyres, and got new rear tyres, and a different type of mechanical speed control.

There are other detail changes, and to complicate matters there are "mark 1" and "mark 2" versions of the SRB chassis that appeared in both Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher kits, and the Ranger also has a "mark 1" and "mark 2" body, depending on how long the front arches are and how deeply the front wheels are dished ...

This is my Super Champ resto thread, I did spend some time looking but no-one here seems to have done a boxart/correct chassis Ranger restoration as of yet. This is the Sand Scorcher I did most recently, I know it's a different car but most of the chassis is the same (as the Ranger).

:)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36872

Thanks for your help, I will post pictures of both the builds once I have completed them.

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36873

Thanks for your help, I will post pictures of both the builds once I have completed them.

TBH I think we're as interested in the process as the result, and would like to see all the stages :)

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36874

I also should have mentioned the 1st 3 SRBs have torsion bar springs on the back end (extending under the radio box), they're not there on the Super Champ.

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36875

TBH I think we're as interested in the process as the result, and would like to see all the stages :)

Yep, we are all interested by this type of resto. There are so many versions...

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36886

I was wondering if the re re superchamp body was exactly the same as the one I have

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36888

It's the same, except the stamp inside the body.

tamiyabase.com/...48#changes

I was wondering if the re re superchamp body was exactly the same as the one I have

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36892

Re-re _Super Champ_, lars ;)

rb1763, the Super Champ was renamed the "Fighting Buggy" ( here and here ) but though a lot changed on the chassis & rear suspension, as far as I know all the body parts are the same, apart from a different date stamp on the inside & the usual faux decals.

Super champ or rough rider ... 8 years 2 months ago #36893

Re-re _Super Champ_, lars ;)

:blush: Note to myself; start to read, learn the difference... :laugh:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.