Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52776

I'm in the process of building a 58141 Wrangler but since they are impossible to find I'm starting with a Pajero and then converting it. I was able to get the 47375 metallic black version for a good price so I started with that. This version comes with an LED light kit in the box. I've only ever seen the 53909 TLU-01 light unit before and that's what is shown in the parts list as you can see below:

However, this is not the lighting system that comes in the kit. The kit has a mystery lighting system I've never seen before that does not appear anywhere on Tamiya's website that I can find. This is not TLU compatible, instead it is just a chip hard wired to 4 white 5mm LEDs. It is shown in the instructions (which contradict the parts list from the same instructions).

Anyone know what it is or have any more info?

I actually like this unit for smaller builds because it takes up so little room. I think I will use it in my Tamtech Gear Ferrari. I'll not be using the metallic Pajero body since I am using the Jeep Wrangler so I guess that means this body is surplus for now.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52780

I have seen that before as I bought a Pajero back in 08' I think, but have no clue on the numbers as me neither have seen it listed...

But Axial 24253 is of similar size if you want to try something else..

Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52782

It is the modern version of the lights unit worn on lunch box and first wrangler etc as option parts.
I saw this kit once on the bay.

Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52783

I've never seen one of those, despite having bought quite a few CC-01 kits... I see Tamiya.com describes the Wrangler as having "always-on lighting action" :silly: I was intrigued, but like you, unable to find any other reference to its existance. Part # 53909 is indeed the TLU-01 unit, not what you've pictured in the manual. Tamiya's "cheap" lighting unit (part # 57751) is the TLU-01 without any LEDs or wiring, so not that either. I couldn't find a light unit as pictured for sale anywhere, you'd think a few would be on eBay having been plucked from kits...

My guess is the "chip" is a voltage regulator, probably with some external components to "adjust" the ouptut voltage from the usual 5v down to the voltage required by the LEDs, I don't know what spec Tamiya use, it could be anywhere from 1.8v to 3.2v. It seems like a valid approach for a manufacturer to take, especially when you consider the range of battery types & voltages they sell.

I've always taken the approach when fitting LEDs that i know what battery I'm going to be using, so can just use resistors and/or multiples of LEDs to get the right voltage, without added complexity, units to site, or extra plugs - and that's in 1:9 to 1:14 builds, in a Tamtec I'd have thought it was even more important. I'd DIY the Tamtech, and save the "mystery" unit (or stick it on eBay at 30 quid or so) :)

Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52787

I did myself a full lightning system for my ttg.
I remind that this cheap light system was in yellow package like the classic lights for lunchbox. It was a super clod buster option in my old remind

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52794

The part I find odd is that there is no record of this lighting unit anywhere. It is clearly intended to be included from the factory with the Pajero because it is pictured in the instructions, yet those very same instructions list the part number for a different lighting unit. There is no evidence that Tamiya sells this lighting unit as a spare part. It is a perfectly reasonable alternative to TLU-01 for smaller models that only need a couple of lights, so I can imagine it being a viable product if they did offer it separately.

Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52810

Would you have a picture of the mystery light unit, and if possible a close up of the connection terminal, and also what colour the wires are, I am wondering if they are old stock so to speak and they found a new use for them?
I am intrigued all the same as to why no part number, the logical answer I suppose would be that it was never offered as a replacement part, therefore requiring no part number, which would tie in with the old stock theory and none spare for resale

Last edit: by goldfish999.

Re:Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52811

It could be a integrated bec/led driver setup for 4 led. Been looking for something like that.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mystery LED light unit 5 years 5 months ago #52812

Here are a couple of photos. There are no connectors; everything is hard wired into the chip. I've never seen Tamiya use a JST plug before. The way the lights with the TLU-01 work, you always get two 3V LEDs wired together in series (6V) on a single plug. These LEDs do not appear to be in series, although I can't tell how they are connected inside the heat shrink.

Attachments:

Last edit: by blakbird.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.