Keyword

TOPIC:

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #62946

• poebe
  • poebe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
Hello Tamiya heroes!

Does anyone know if there is more pictures or other information of the Tamiya 58001 Prototype? Could someone here have visited the museum? I can't find anything about it.
In the meantime I have found 2 photos and I will not get any further.
Not even when I search in Japanese via google translate.

It concerns the following model

"Tamiya 58001 Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934 Prototype shown at Mega Web Tamiya RC Grand Prix"

All records to "Tamiyablog"

:woohoo:
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Wjkersing, TamiyafanTrieste

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by poebe. Reason: added the build

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #62954

This prototype is probably one made by Fumito Taki, the Tamiya employee, playing with is RC's during lunchtime, annoying mr. Tamiya himself to the point where he was hired to make the first Tamiya RC, the Sherman tank. (Actually he was told to make the Maus tank, but persuaded Mr. Tamiya to make the Sherman instead.) Later came the 934. The static 934 kit were selling so poorly that Tamiya had to find other products for the fine detailed Porsche 934 body, and RC was one option.
The RC version of the 934 was a massive success and sold 100.000 units the first year, which was a total surprise for Tamiya, and the rest is history :-)

The details of the story is written in the book "Master modeller" by Shunsako Tamiya (Mr. Tamiya).
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, TamiyafanTrieste

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #62993

• poebe
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
well known story, thank you.
i am working on this sorting it out to get more info and build it :D
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #62995

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Nice idea for a build.
I like the reverse engineering idea on this.
I don’t know enough about the history of Tamiya,s models, but it looks like the Porsche 935 front wheels and the rear wheels look like the F1 / F2 cars.
Did they have many of their 1/12big scale models at this point ?
Is that a 360 motor ?
Fantastic idea Poebe.

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #63007

• poebe
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
Thank you mate!
is here anyone who can help me 2 f2 gray wheels and tyres? :D
I am buzzy building the thing since a day or three, i am reallising i need to make pictures!

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #63014

• poebe
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
Do's it look like the photo?
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #63017

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Definitely getting there Poebe.

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #63037

Do's it look like the photo?...

Yes ... and no.

I applaud you for having a go at this at all :y: but for me the "experimental" nature of prototype MSC is a big part of it - and whatever you have there in the way of electric is nothing like it :( (said in the spirit of constructive criticism :) ).

I have no idea what the rotary part of MSC came out of (might have been an off the shelf unit, might be some of a potentiometer from a 1930s radiogram). There are lots of widely available options that would look better - any Mardave or Kyosho MSCs would look better, there are Tamiya options that are rounder (SRB), even a brown 90s three step with the corners knocked off would be more appropriate. I'm guessing the "resistor" portion is GRP with straightened out kiln wire & lots of M2 fasteners.

If I was building something like this, I think I'd look at a fake 4x C cell battery box, and use the space in it to fit a small Lipo & an ESC for safety & reliablity & just have the "MSC" for show.

Your springing the rear end is a great idea - I would have interpreted the photo as using wellnuts TBH...

:)

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 4 months ago #63042

• poebe
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
thnx man!

The electronics are from 1 of my porsche 935 from nikko (the black one is a building project in progress) asso rc12e parts (to many building projecs)

the elektroniks

it sounds and rotates but I don't know what it is exactly.
I would have to disassemble 1 and put it on the power so I can see how it works.
maybe I can use it, but those are worries for later.
it was just about the image becouse it has the same colour and it has 7,2v 6v and 3v on it on 1 thing
the main thing is the chassis and I already have a lot of nice parts for that since I am completely in love with the old aluminum chassis
what I have are pretty good cars and these are a shame to use for parts, but I can simply copy that and since I am in aluminum ship building myself,
I have all the materials and machines available to process it. i work for alumax boats in the netherlands and we have enough material the cars are robbe race sports and yokomo junior both 1/12 scale

I copied the "gearbox" on springs from the 58001 but then in the jacket of the prototype with the drive shaft with diff from 1 of my 935's on which I already cut wire to secure the wheels. now I just need wheels.

original

my axle

Iown a lot of thread cutting tools, which is a godsend! all hand / manual work that requires much thought, I can find peace in that. I love to work in my hobby room next to the warm radiator with a beer
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Last edit: by poebe.

Tamiya 58001 PORSCHE RSR Prototype info wanted 3 years 3 months ago #63236

• poebe
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
yesss today the rims came in.
Now I can go wild this holiday
still looking for a good body. I only have 935 and it should have a 934 on it
5 spoke front wheel from robbe instead of the 6 spoke tamiya

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.