Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11674

A vintage black can is nice (newer ones are shinier) but won't sell for big money...
There've been a few rereleases that bring back the "old skool" feeling. Some of my favourites :

- 58441 Buggy Champ (Rough Rider)
- 58452 Sand Scorcher
- 58525 Wild One
- 58496 FAV
- 58470 Holiday Buggy (not a real rere though, it's on a DT-02)

I'm sure there are more cars worth mentioning... :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11675

Or is it a RS-540SD and not a Sport Tuned?

Edit - the first one (all versions) is rare enough to not find any eBay listings. No past auctions either.
I've seen some crazy prices for NIP collectable motors in general...

Motor overview

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11676

It's a RS-540SD Endurance Link to image.
Also a few pics of the SRB. Please don't blame me - I did this when I was MUCH younger...

Edit: That didn't work for some reason. Instead, here's a link to a dropbox folder will all the images in.

There's a load of stuff there:
  • Very ropey Sand Scorcher / Rough Rider
  • Two Mardave Stockmaster chassis
  • A Mardave Marauder
  • Some IC buggy/truggy - HPI I think
  • Part of an electric buggy - Mugen something
  • Some Mardave Apache parts

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11684

Looks a bit rough (the motor) and the original wires would have been nice...
Still, I think there are builders out there that would love to put it on their vintage car.

Attachments:

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11696

I don't really follow what newer stuff is out there in the way of 2wd buggies, but I have had my eye on the new Tamiya Holiday buggy & variants on the same chassis - to me they look nice & simple & well thought out (Simple usually = reliable). I've heard good things about the Annsmann Mad Rat too (Saying things like that on here will probably get me shot...), however, stay away from anything electrical-related with Annsmann's label on it (Chargers should be ok though as Annsmann have been building power supplies etc for industry for years before they got into RC).

The Mamod - what is it? - the road rollers aren't popular unless they're the really early ones with screws rather than rivets holding everything together, these older ones usually fetch around 60quid. The very early roofed traction engine TE1 (Different throttle & whistle valves) are more popular than the later TE1A (Lever throttle with reverse) but both will fetch 70-150 depending on who's bidding. The most popular is the SW1 steam wagon (Foden truck) & even busted ones will make upward of 50quid, & like Tamiya's Quattro, depending on who's bidding, they can make anything between 50-300. Age-wise, nuts & bolts means pre-'60, meths burners means up to '70-something, red levers are older than black ones, tablet burners are around 1980 onward. As with anything like this, complete, boxed & unused will make silly money, incomplete, used will make less but similar money regardless of cosmetic condition. I don't follow prices for the stationary engines (SE series), but I do know the Meccano version makes more money. Wilesco are more popular than Mamod as they tend to be a bit more "refined". Bowman make the most as far as I've seen, other than model-engineer built "Stuart" kits, which usually outprice the scratch builds.
Time to sell is summertime when all the vintage rallies are on.
I've actually got a 1970s steam wagon & an early '60s TE1 sitting on the shelf, but my thing is more scratch building stuff like that - have a look at the topic "Not Tamiya or RC but very cool" to get some idea

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11698

I...I have had my eye on the new Tamiya Holiday buggy & variants on the same chassis - to me they look nice & simple & well thought out (Simple usually = reliable). I've heard good things about the Annsmann Mad Rat too (Saying things like that on here will probably get me shot...)...

@ Martin:

I had a Mad Rat & it's a very capable RWD buggy ... just _incredibly_ tedious to build - endless near-identical hex headed screws to fit. You also have to live with (or repaint) some truly horrendous pre-painted bodies. It does cost half of what Tamiya RWD buggy of the same spec does though.

The DT-02 chassis is very capable - assuming you replace the 380 motor with something better (even a 540 silvercan) & the pogo sticks with proper oil shocks ... unfortunately that does add a lot to the cost. Lots of people (including me) were quite rude about Tamiya fitting the Holiday Buggy & Sand Rover bodies to this chassis & calling it a re-release, but that died down once people started buying & building them :y:y

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11699

I don't know why, but I've suddenly thought it necessary to drag up thoughts over the Darth Rover.... Did anyone on here ever buy one?

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11701

Awww, pic links don't seem to work for me - could you post the pics on here?
Is the Mugen a "Bulldog"? Only ever saw 1 back in the '80s - blue 4wd frame buggy with 4-wheel steer & air shockers.
Dying to see pics of the SRB too!

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11705

I tried to post the pics here, but it did not work. Did you click the links in my post? It should take you to a dropbox folder with all the pics in.

Just Googled Mugen Bulldog. Yes, that's the chap. It was complete when I got it, but now I just have the central "spine" gearbox and suspension. The black motor came out of that.

BTW - what is a complete Tamiya Manta Ray worth (with radio and chargers)? Watching one on ebay that has been misdescribed. Be quick - only 20 minutes to go! LINKY

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Re: Reborn Tamiya fan from the UK 11 years 8 months ago #11708

The descriptions in the post don't appear to be links , just text (Well not on my poota anyway).

It's a Manta Ray is it? - found myself looking at that earlier & decided I couldn't be bothered. I really can't get excited about anything later than the Hotshot, as I still class them as "new"! (I was actually looking for something suitable to do for my bro's birthday, ideally a complete Mardave Cobra....)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.