Keyword

TOPIC:

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52414

Personaly, I run with 2 2000mAh and I have approximately 20, 25minutes runtime with a dt02, lunchbox or ff01 with sport tuned

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52428

Been running a wr02 through autumn leaves this afternoon with a 3300 and had to quit after 30min because i got bored. ;) :D

And I can confirm that the 3300 Vapextech are short/normal size NiMh so should fit most Vintage cars.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re:33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52468

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52470

Boomer is a great choice :y:

I have a Super Zabre that I'm going to convert to a Boomer, as I like the Boomerang body, paint sheme and the blue parts much more than the Super Zabre.

I'm going to watch this one :y:

Re:33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52477

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi,

Thank you once again for all the kind advice. Apologies for the late response, but it's been a hectic couple of days. Hopefully the pictures have successfully published to the site, as I had a problem with one or two of them. And this is the first time I've ever attempted to upload an image. So fingers crossed.

As you can (hopefully) see, I'm really pleased to share my new purchase with you guys. I've already started stripping and cleaning the car as it was in a filthy condition, perhaps even original 1980's mud by the looks of it ..lol.

I'm just waiting on a Manual to be delivered now so I can move forward with confidence. It's one thing taking something apart, but an entirely different thing trying to put it back together. Well, at least that's the case for me.

There were also little bits and pieces that appear to be missing or broken, so I definitely need the assistance of a manual. Nothing serious, just a couple of screws and general wear & tear to some of the plastic parts. This is a new adventure for me and I'm still in the embryonic stages of familiarising myself with everything. So I'm definitely expecting to find some unwanted surprises as I navigate through the rebuild.

I'll keep you posted :)

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52478

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Thanks Caprinut. I was undecided on which car to get, particularly after a the great advice I had received here. But this Boomerang came up quite unexpectedly and I didn't have the luxury of time to make a decision, so I threw caution to the wind pounced, so to speak :)

I'm can't begin the rebuild until I receive a manual, but still have plenty to do, such as cleaning and identifying damaged and unrecyclable parts.

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52484

Think you are going to like it, both driving and building :y:

I have not had the pleasure to work on that chassis, but I have had a finger poked at both the BigWig and Thundershot which a couple of friends of mine owned.
The BigWig is in my collection now and awaits a resto when I got time for it.

For now you can just use the manual from this site (the little red download button) www.tamiyausa.c...-4wd-2008/

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52504

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Thank you Caprinut for drawing my attention to the manual download. I haven't had a great deal of spare time this week so progress has been slow.

When I received the Boomerang it was very dirty. Virtually every part and component was hosting a build up of mud and dust; there was also the time consuming task of removing a blood splatter effect of silver paint which could be found squatting in innumerable nooks & crannies on the chasis. At some point in its early life, the car looks as though it may have been the victim of customisation with a felt tip pen and a spray can. Some of the paint residual was extremely difficult to remove.

I wanted to avoid using any harsh chemicals on the plastic, but not even white spirit was impacting the measl like coverage of spots and splatters , which appeared to proliferate under closer inspection. I finally managed to clear this infection using a magnifying glass, cotton bud and some paint remover. Needless to say it took a collective amount of time, but was a success in the end with no risk to the condition or integrity of the chasis.

There is still a great deal of work to be done but the cleaning process is now complete. Every part has been thoroughly cleaned and then subjected to forensic examination with white spirit and a cotton bud.

I was doing a little research yesterday on the motor that I removed from the car. It's a Technipower RX540, which cleaned up very nicely considering its vintage and appears to work just fine when a little voltage was applied. It did however seem odd that the power plant had been upgraded but there were no bearings in the car whatsoever.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to stick with the original electronics: motor, mechanical speed controller etc, or change the whole lot for a modern system and keep the vintage parts for when I eventually restore it to period spec for the shelf.

Some pics:

Attachments:

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52506

The technigold was THE motor option during this period. A very good motor :P

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52509

Hmm, I'm unconvinced by the Technigold motor, it was unaffordable to the average enthusiast at the time, and not a particularly great performer, IMO only being equivalent to an indifferent 21T motor - I feel that there were plenty of superior and/or cheaper options at the time from Demon, LRP, Reedy and so on. Personally I'd only bother with it where it was original equipment.

On the other hand, it's the best period Tamiya motor upgrade for the car, so as long as it's in good order it's not a bad choice for a runner or a shelfer, and there are plenty of fan boys to ooh and aah over it ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Sam

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.