Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57179

Hi all, I have recently acquired a sand rover restoration project listed wrong in Belgium, anyway I have taken the underside panel offf to reveal a different gear setup to the usual. I wondered if this is a kind of hop up or aftermarket improvement. Or just the previous owner improvising. Pictures are attached. Any help greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone needs any sand rover parts I have s9me spares for sale that came with it

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57181

Welcome on board :)

Definitely a home made attempt at a differential ... difficult to see a lash up like that working at all :blink:

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57182

Wow. Strange a diff on a sand rover...

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57288

Thanks Jonny, I’ve been restoring vintage Tamiya for a while and had a old parts doner chassis. When I saw the sand rover I couldn’t resist buying as I had been looking for one for a long time. I’m now in the process of re painting the body shell and adding electronics. However I’m in need of some rear rims and tires if anyone has any.

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57290

... I’m in need of some rear rims and tires if anyone has any.

Sorry to say I sucked air through my teeth when I read that bit - new (old stock) vintage rear tyres and rear wheels for the Sand Rover/Holiday Buggy have recently gone from merely really, really expensive to seemingly unobtainable.

I've cheated on a couple of mine, tyre wise, & fitted Sand Scorcher Padlatrak rears (which need gluing, they're not the greatest fit) & vintage "Troll" brand replacements. I forget the reference number but TBH although they were available for a time, I haven't seen any for years. I guess I'd set up a load of eBay searches, sign up for a few of the various Facebook groups & hope you get lucky (and fairly quickly).

The only other option I can suggest is a full set of Buggy Champ re-release wheels and tyres - I know they're not right, but I'd be ok with them on a runner as it would show I cared enough to try to get something close (ish).

How bad are your rear wheels? If it's just the bead on the very edge that's a bit chewed up you can carefully sand it off, I've also done more involved repairs with badly chewed wheels, but it is a lot of work (see here for example).

:)

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57292

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi, Jonny is right about the Sand Rover rear wheels and tyres.
I’ve managed to get a few sets, but you are looking at £50 easy. The asking price is going to be north of that at the minute i’d have thought.
But they come up so rarely.
Someone is probably sitting on a stash.
A guy on Tamiyaclub was selling about 20+ sets of fronts.
Look out for a set that aren’t too badly worn, I’ve picked up a couple of sets that look very presentable with only partial wear on the spikes.
Just be patient though something always turns up.

Paddletrax do look good on the Sand Rover rims.

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57294

Sorry Al. All my tires are like slicks... I never had good spikes on all holiday buggies I had.

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57295

Hi everyone, I knew they were scarce but didn’t know they were that rare. This is what I’ve got to work with. I had a new set of front from a previous parts lot. I had an extra front set which were on a grasshopper I got. The rears aren’t great but they have spikes. It’s the rims which I don’t like on them. What do you guys think is the best way to restore them?
Thanks

Attachments:

Last edit: by AndyAus. Reason: Adding photos

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57296

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Give the rear tyres a good clean and they will look good.

It depends how bad the rims are.
The wheels will turn up.

But I think Jonny put a link up.
It depends how far you are willing to go.

Looking forward to seeing how the build goes, because the Sand Rover is just a great car.

Sand rover 4 years 4 months ago #57324

Sometimes we need to buy job lots to secure an elusive item required for a restoration :ohmy: This Frog has some interesting rear wheels ;)

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Last edit: by AndyAus.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.