Keyword

TOPIC:

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 3 years 11 months ago #59716

Thank you, I haven’t seen him since yesterday afternoon so must be enjoying it 😂
The following user(s) Liked this: CamoRacer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 3 years 11 months ago #59720

Dude!

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 3 years 11 months ago #59727

Hi everyone, seems like you’ve been having a party without me 😂

I’m about half way through the build and I’ve attached some pictures I’ve taken as I’ve gone but I’ve run into some trouble. The battery is charged and saying it’s good to go but after a minute or so it’s becoming very sluggish and the steering is unresponsive like it has run out of power despite having been on charge over night. Is it possible I’m shorting something somewhere?

It took me a while to get the ESC programmed, is it normal for those to be pain in the badword? It is normal you have to switch it on in order of transmitter to receiver and then receiver to transmitter to switch it off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The following user(s) Liked this: CamoRacer

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 3 years 11 months ago #59728

More pics

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, CamoRacer

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 3 years 11 months ago #59729

ESCs are either perfect straight of the packet or require no end fiddling to get all the permutations of motor connection & transmitter normal/reverse direction correct :whistle:

I had an ansmann "intelligent" charger at one point, not that model TBF & I found it very dumb for my liking ... looking at the "product details" online it seesm to have the same mode of operation -no buttons, you just connect it & after a few seconds a red LED shows it's fast charging, green shows it's trickle charging. Charging at 3A, it should fast charge your 3000mA pack in something over an hour (charging is not 100% efficient), but if it didn't, 190mA slow charge = 16+ hours.

NiMH packs do take a few charge/discharge cycles to get to full capacity so it could be that, TBH I think if you'd shorted something you'd be able to tell by how much fire it was on ;)

Try connecting a D cell (big 1.5v battery) directly to the motor, this should tell you if anything is binding or dragging. other possibilities are that the battery or charger is duff (which can really only be ruled out by substitution), but I don't think we're there yet :)

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 3 years 11 months ago #59739

Thanks,
I’ve taken the car to pieces to try and establish where the issue lies, the battery has been recharged and plugged back in and I barely got 10 seconds of life out of it before it stopped running.
I’ve tried the motor off a D cell battery and that runs fine, albeit slowly (guessing its lack of power).
I’m going to re program the esc later on, I’ve managed to find a detailed list how to do it.
For now, the battery is back on charge again and I’ll try that again later.

Cheers!
Attachments:

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 3 years 11 months ago #59743

It can be your battery wich is dead. I have the same matter several years ago with a 5500mAh stick. The first charge had 3 minutes of run and the second charge it was very hot and ran 30 seconds.

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 3 years 11 months ago #59744

Silly question the charger is plugged in to the mains? I just asak as I would be surprised if the LEDs come on when the battery is connected even with the mains off.

Can you test if there's anything coming out of the output of the charger? A multimeter would be best, but if not you could make an impromptu tester from a couple of bits of wire, tape & a spare 12v car bulb? Time was i had boxes & boxes of chargers but now I only have the two I use, not even a spare wall wart to send you :(

If it genuinely is the battery, I've found Vapextech packs to be very good for the money, e.g. www.vapextech.c...amiya-105/ .

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 1 year 11 months ago #71194

Lucky husband right there.

Buying Husband a Tamiya 58391 1 year 11 months ago #71195

I felt compelled to ask her if she had a twin sister. What a lovely, considerate and generous woman.

(And beers destroy memories - building that will stay in his brain forever)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.