Keyword

TOPIC:

Any gamers here? 2 years 8 months ago #67438

u can download it here
www.myabandonwa...i#download
and yes i have c&C all of them i just wish people rip the games the right way by using cd clone img files are the way to go
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Any gamers here? 1 year 11 months ago #71200

I’ve been playing The Long Drive for a few days now… I could read up on it, but have tried to just stay within the game & collect clues that way – mostly the in car radio. The basic premise is that the world ended sometime around 1979, there’s a parallel universe where it didn’t & time went on as normal, but here it’s stuck around 1988. There’s only 300,000 people left worldwide, the rest presumably having left with most of the buildings and supplies :whistle: The remaining few occupy themselves producing bacon, kielbasa, croissants, Jammy Dodgers and calendars… really, who makes a 1988 calendar when the world ended in 1979? The point seems to be to de-rust and increase the shine on your car by finding steel wire brushes, brass wire brushes, wash sponges & spray polish (plus less worn tyres, hubcaps & any missing parts), while keeping hydrated and fed (mostly on bacon), and keeping your bowels and bladder empty.

Swapping rides for better (or at least different) ones is possible, but problematic. The giant black rabbits are lethal at one touch – and so are the physics. I’ve died several times when the game has a brain fart while getting in or out of the car, it partially ejects you through the roof, and as the human body and the sheet metal can’t occupy the same place, there’s a stationary crash which throws the contents of your car about & kills you. There’s the option to continue, but you’ll have lost a lot of your inventory. Case in point, I drove a long way off road to a water tower, was killed getting out of the car, continued, but the empty jerry cans I was going to fill were no longer there. 

One of the rarest & most important items appears to be the Not A Snake – a length of hose required to siphon fluids – but keeping hold of it is difficult. Leave it loose in the car = gone. Put it in the glove compartment = gone. Keep it on your person = ok, but loses a slot for useful things like weapons. Find a Dacia 1300, swap over all the wheels, tyres, hubcaps, engine, radiator, fill the engine with oil, siphon out the water from the fuel tank, then go to siphon out the fuel from your former car, Not A Snake whipcracks & shoots away at supersonic speeds = really gone. Frustrating, but I did have a save point somewhere before that (with empty jerry cars but minus Not A Snake) & have continued in my previous mk.1 Golf from there, and have found a couple of sponges since then :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts

Any gamers here? 1 year 11 months ago #71212

Haha.... You had me at "The remaining few occupy themselves producing bacon" 😂

Any gamers here? 1 year 10 months ago #71398

Still on the same game, I’ve now driven just over 2,000km. I upgraded to a truck, then a bus. Downhill, fully loaded flat out speed in the latter was hard to tell as the speedo was pinned back against the zero stop, but passing one lamp post less than every two seconds = 200kph+ :blink: Plenty of room for stuff, including hanging rails for all the Kielbasa. Grindingly slow up hills though.

Moving up to a bendy bus was disastrous, the game physics isn’t up to the task & any attempt to use it (having spent several game days transferring stuff across) resulted in quakes spitting everything out, splitting the bus in half, and death.

Along the way I’ve found/fixed up/driven everything else in the game – Trabants (not as bad as you’d think), Skodas, Dacia 1300/Denems/Renault 12s (rear end bounces horrendously), mopeds, and Plymouth Furys (tend to wheelie if you hit a bump on the road).

I got back in another Golf, and because if the Mad Max films taught us anything, it’s to squander petrol, so I stuck the V8 engine from a Plymouth Fury in it. If anything the handling improves from the weight, and top speed is the same 185kph as the Fury, 215 downhill. And then, because I found it, transferred everything into a pickup :D

Attachments:

Any gamers here? 1 year 10 months ago #71399

Attachments:

Any gamers here? 1 year 9 months ago #71617

I've played The Long Drive a little bit - got about 150km and died about 10 times!
Totally agree about the stupid deaths when getting out of the car - seems to be if you forget to open the door first.

2000km is some dedication!
It's a fun and quirky game, but the physics is really frustrating and the car is almost uncontrollable at speed. Not dared to try the V8 yet.

On the Not a Snake - a tip is to keep it on the hotbar if you have space.

Any gamers here? 1 year 3 months ago #73283

Gave up on The Long Drive for a long time, only poking my head in occasionally to see if there have been any updates - and there have :)

in common with a lot of games developed like this, more work seems to have gone in to the "fun" side of it than fixing the underlying problems ...

I've yet to die from getting out of a car or opening a fridge (yet), so that would appear to be an improvement, but the baskets don't hold anything in  permanently any more, so the physics quakes ejaculating everything you're carrying (even if they're in a sealed compartment)  any time you touch a small rock when driving are worse. 

Actual zombie-like humanoids now make an appearance, in "peaceful" mode they're almost completely inert, but switch that off and they are chatty, not that fast - but relentless.

A large church-like building has been added to the roster, it's ok for food & water, plus the odd bit of ammunition, but takes a disproportionate amount of time to go through.

A shotgun has been introduced, but it's quite disappointing - it's a side-by-side so only takes two rounds, sounds just like the airgun when you "break" it, and borrows the bang and results from the AK by the looks of it - a autoloader or slide action with a bigger boom & simulated buckshot would have been a much better way to go IMO, whatever the Warsaw pact equivalent of the Ithica 67, or Remington Wingmaster. Even a Baikal O/U would have been better ...

There's also a new car - a VW beetle :y: B)

You can put a V8 in the back, but with no provision for watercooling the best you can you with it is pin it the wrong side the speedo zero stop for 3-400 metres, coast for 400 to 2,400 metres (depending on road conditions) and repeat 3 times before having to spend a (game time) day waiting for it to cool down properly. It's fun, but ultimatley gets in the way, so I soon swapped back to the low-power OE.

There's only one thing that could be better than a VW Beetle for surviving a zombie apocalypse - and that's a _convertible_ VW Beetle :D

The hatches I think are subtly different, the doors quite different but I have yet to find the correct parts - assuming they're not just a bad fit ;)

Attachments:

Any gamers here? 1 year 3 months ago #73288

I was wrong about the shotgun, it does make (slightly) different noise when loading and firing, and at least 4 whizz lines come out of the muzzle ...

More importantly though, I neglected to mention the realistic, speed proportional top-down pressure differential within the cabin while driving. The practical upshot is that if you drop a deuce - still a key part of the game - while driving, it will fly out. Just how fast/far depends on speed - 80kph & it's likely to drop back in the rear seat, 100 kph will see it out of the car, but at 150kph it'll rocket out like an ICBM out of a silo :D

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.