Keyword

TOPIC:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 4 months ago #53257

Yeahhhh Manu! A great 64 1/2 289. Be carefull with waterpump. ;) a bigger radiator is needed on these stangs. Maybe an electro fan too.
PS the cobra isn't a 289. The 289 block is light blue.
A friend of me took 13 years to restore is own 67 coupe and sold it this summer. Du to his departure to Nevada. :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 4 months ago #53258

I will be glad to see your resto. ;)

Last edit: by stingray-63.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 4 months ago #53262

What a great story and project, Would have been a journey for it to get from SA to Swiss soil ;) So A Spanish speaking Swiss eh, That explains the Dani connection and your given name :) Apart from the engine and brakes, What is the rest of the car's general condition? Please keep us updated on this Special project :)

Thanks Andy,

Indeed the car and myself have a long common & international story.

The overall condition is pretty good, i had it striped down completely, the rust was treated, repeared and the whole car repainted in red. Unluckily i can't remember what colour code was used. I just remember that my dad and myself choose that red from a cardboard. As this was done back in South America in a well known Bodyworkshop i might find it out if they still have something in ther archives....
Anyway it has no rust at all, everything was treated against corrosion so the chassis and body is perfect.
The interior is 100% original besides the seats leather. I remember my dad had them remanufactured and they're are still looking good. So the interior just need a good clean up and that's it.
Talking about the mechanical part...

As you seen on the pictures the engine suffered a bit from the resting years. After disassembling it besides the accumulation of corrosion in the cooling system nothing too serious happened. The engine still turns smoothly.

Well, the complete exhaust need to be replaced incl. both manifolds
The Alternator bearings are out
The power steering pump was a bit noisy, so i suppose that new bearings will solve it
The water pump is dead
All water hoses are completely cracked
The radiator is corroded and will be replaced with a 3 rows aluminum one
The carburator needed a good owerhaul with new gaskets and a good clean up
The clutch will be also replaced, as i took the engine out it's easyier to do it now instead of having to replace it later
As told before, the complete brake system will be replaced, instead of the rear drums disc brakes will take place, the front discs and brake pads will be replaced with new ones (same as the originals) and will need a new master cylinder with a proportional valve setup for the rear brakes.
All shock absorbers need to be replaced aswell

Well that's already a nice list !

Last June a placed an order with :

New chrome parts, both bumpers and window trims
4 15x7 Torq Thrust wheels (The same rims as Bullit's Mustang)
Complete rear disc brake conversion kit
Magnaflow complete 2 1/4'' exhaust pipe with dual tailpipe
Flowtech 1 1/2'' headers
Aluminium 3 Row Radiator
Complete gasket set
And many other bits such like botls and nuts (as they're are in inch and not metric)

Once everything arrived i realized that i missed a few things and placed a second order last november

The timing chain cover was completely corroded and i broke a few screws in it during the disassembly
A brake mastercylinder with a proportionning valve
Water pump
Clutch kit
Front and rear shocks
And as bonus for my christmas gift a Edelbrock Top end Kit including aluminum Cyclinder heads (ready for unleaded fuel), a camshaft with a more aggressive profile and a bit more valve overlap. Also included is the complete timing chain and gears.

This last order should be delivered soon and i really hope it will be here before christmas.

I will keep you posted.

Manotas
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 4 months ago #53263

Yeahhhh Manu! A great 64 1/2 289. Be carefull with waterpump. ;) a bigger radiator is needed on these stangs. Maybe an electro fan too.

Hi Flo,
Yeah, the waterpump and the radiator has been ordered. I don't think i will install an electro fan

the cobra isn't a 289.

Yes i know, the cobra is a 427 cui ;) But i think the GT350 had those covers....

The 289 block is light blue.

Yes you're right and not red as i wrote earlier !

Thanks Flo
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 4 months ago #53266

Woooo you'll put a 427 inside? You'll make a sleeper. I love the idea. Perfect Manu :D

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 4 months ago #53267

Woooo you'll put a 427 inside? You'll make a sleeper. I love the idea. Perfect Manu :D

Oh no no no i won't install a 427 in it. I will just upgrade a little bit my 289. :P

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 4 months ago #53272

It is enough to cruise. You have the scottish canvas rear wheel cover? Is it the "big" 289? The 64 1/2 had 2 or 3 289140 170 and 210 hp in my mind but not sure.
Be carefull mustangs tends to over heat. V8 v8 v8 :woohoo:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 2 months ago #53781

Short update on this as UPS arrived with all the remaining parts from CJ Pony parts / USA

Attachments:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 2 months ago #53782

Attachments:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 2 months ago #53783

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.