Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4821

Getting two new additions to my family on Saturday from my local R.S.P.C.A rescue centre. I went to look for a new dog but as i work all day it felt a little unfair so i decided to get two cats so they could keep each other company :)

Never had cats before so im looking forward to making them welcome and spoiling them rotten as they have had a hard lot in life so far. Im like a nervous father :laugh: been reading up how to take care of them properly as its mostly new to me.

they will be great you will love them. plenty of cuddles and playing, keep them fed well, let them out!!! i hate people who buy cats and keep them stuck indoors, its not natural.
best advice.....get pet insurance. its cheap and it can save you a fortune in vet bills

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4822

Getting two new additions to my family on Saturday from my local R.S.P.C.A rescue centre. I went to look for a new dog but as i work all day it felt a little unfair so i decided to get two cats so they could keep each other company :)

Never had cats before so im looking forward to making them welcome and spoiling them rotten as they have had a hard lot in life so far. Im like a nervous father :laugh: been reading up how to take care of them properly as its mostly new to me.

Excellent :)

Hopefully they'll come with the bedding they've been using (so the cats have a scent they're used to) and a bit of food they're used to ... I think the main thing is to let them do their own thing & come to you when they're ready, although it's difficult when you want them to be cuddle cats & they're very aloof - my cat Oscar was a "rescue" cat & I think the spent the first week in his basket, and another 2-3 weeks under the table, it took 6 months or so for him to be a "proper cat" again (now he struts along like a lion with his tail held high & is quite vocal), 3 months after that his character is still developing - yesterday he started playing with his food (flicking individual biscuits out of his bowl & then pouncing on them), today he had a tiny bit of cheese ... waiting to see if his stomach can cope with that, I had a siamese that loved cheese & it never had an effect on her, all the other cats I've had just wouldn't eat it.

I guess the other thing is not to let them out until they regard your place as home - 6 weeks or so? It's not so much of a problem in winter, but you do have to adjust to "airlocking" when you open the front door - always one closed door between the cats & the exit.

If they've come from the RSPCA I'm sure they'll be chipped - modern catflaps can read the code & only let your cats in - much better than radio transponders or magnets on their collars - although seeing a cat get stuck to a fridge door or similar is funny :D

Agree on Max's comment re insurance (assuming they're still young enough to get it), I've had it & therefore never been in a postion where I've had to consider cost in making a decision about a cats' care.

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4823

Excellent :)

Hopefully they'll come with the bedding they've been using (so the cats have a scent they're used to) and a bit of food they're used to ... I think the main thing is to let them do their own thing & come to you when they're ready, although it's difficult when you want them to be cuddle cats & they're very aloof - my cat Oscar was a "rescue" cat & I think the spent the first week in his basket, and another 2-3 weeks under the table, it took 6 months or so for him to be a "proper cat" again (now he struts along like a lion with his tail held high & is quite vocal), 3 months after that his character is still developing - yesterday he started playing with his food (flicking individual biscuits out of his bowl & then pouncing on them), today he had a tiny bit of cheese ... waiting to see if his stomach can cope with that, I had a siamese that loved cheese & it never had an effect on her, all the other cats I've had just wouldn't eat it.

I guess the other thing is not to let them out until they regard your place as home - 6 weeks or so? It's not so much of a problem in winter, but you do have to adjust to "airlocking" when you open the front door - always one closed door between the cats & the exit.

If they've come from the RSPCA I'm sure they'll be chipped - modern catflaps can read the code & only let your cats in - much better than radio transponders or magnets on their collars - although seeing a cat get stuck to a fridge door or similar is funny :D

Agree on Max's comment re insurance (assuming they're still young enough to get it), I've had it & therefore never been in a postion where I've had to consider cost in making a decision about a cats' care.

our Max wont touch cheese, although he will eat almost anything else. he is chipped but not collared. he is free to come and go through his cat flap but we dont get any trouble from other cats coming in as Max fights them off and sends them running lol.
P.S. i am Age, my cat is Max. hence Agemax :)

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4824

Thanks for all the advice guys JR your correct the rspca officer told me to keep them in for six weeks so they establish our house as home. They are home cats apparently and dont like to go out a lot at all. They are both eight year old females and apparently sleep cuddled up under blankets all day lol :) Im hoping we will get their bedding when we pick them up to help them to settle in easier. We have been advised they are not fussy eaters and they seem to prefer the cheaper unbranded food for some strange reason :unsure:

They are both neutered and chipped apparentlybut i dont like collars as i have heard they can cause strangulation if caught, ill definitely be taking out a joint insurance policy on them as its just stupid not to with the cost of vets etc.

Im looking forward to making them settled and loved this will be their home for life. I love any type of animal i lost my dog a little over a year ago now and she was my best friend it will be nice to have another animal about.

Wow its strange how so many of us are cat owners on here :laugh:

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4825

I know more people having cats then dogs, dogs are more time consuming and I have allways been a cat people, I don't like dogs, can't put my finger on it what I don't like about them, I just don't..

Ole as my white cat is named, is also one of the cats that like the cheaper food, he won't eat the more expensive ones, he is a little fussy about food.
He also have to eat "wet" food as kitcat first in the morning, or else he won't eat the dry stuff at all, if he got the wet first, he eats both types during the day, very strange...
Some vets don't recomend wet food as they says it's bad for the skin and theets, but he won't eat at all if he can't get the wet stuff..

Norweaigan forrest which is the most common cat breed here are recomended to keep indoors for two weeks to get house warm, they may adapt more easyer than others, I don't know...

I recently moved and I took with me Ole that has been mine since winter 07 (he is born 11 Dec 06').
He was house warm allready after 20 min as all of my funitures from last place was moved ahead before Ole came home, he saw all the funitures he know before, his foodcups, and all the other stuff.
20 min later after arival of the new place, Ole was laying in the bed and puuring like it was no tomorrow :lol:
I was so happy he settled so fast, my main consern was that he maybe don't would like the new place, but I coulden't be more wrong..

My org plan was to keep him indoors for the first 2 weeks, but just after 4 days he got some major urgent need to go to the loo, during the night all of his cat toilet was full of s.h.i.t, so full infact that one of the egdes was covered and it has run down to the floor.
So when I was prep to give his some food, he was speaking very heavly, me thinking he was very hungery, but he found a corner and squat down to do his business, and doe the cat toilet beeing full, I have no other choice than to let him out to do his toilet business.

After under a hour he wanted in again to eat-the most natural thing in the world it seems at that very moment, I was outside with him most of the time to see if he was doing allright and not running of.
And from that day on, he as allways running home when I open the door to give him food or let him in.
Smart cat too, he is outside the front door every time I have been in the bathroom and I has used my deo in the morning.
As if he thinks, now my owner has stood up, time to get some food :laugh:

And if he is outside when I'm coming home with my car, he runs up the street where I park and is meeting me with his tail up in the air.
I when I says, "shall we go home and get some food", he turns around and running ahead of me to the front door...

Oh I love him to bits :blush: :kiss:

As I'm typing this, he is laying beside me in his favorit stress less stool and sleeping. :lol:

Last edit: by caprinut.

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4827

Sheilo had no problem adapting in his new home. Even when all the surroundings were unfamiliar to him.
I could tell he fit right in from the first second he stepped out of the bag.
His favourite is dry food and he's only picky with the wet stuff.

I suspect this won't work very well on an internation forum - you probably have to be british and in your late 30's or older to get it ...

I'm not British but I do recognize a Tommy Cooper outfit. :lol:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4835

Still think its funny so many of us have cats and even stranger i was also a biker for over fifteen years too before i hung my leathers up for a car :( Honda africa twin was my last bike

Attachments:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4837

One of my bikes... Its predecessor was a GPZ750 turbo, mad max style! No cats though
Attachments:

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4851

Found a couple of pics of baby stinkwheels I had around 1988 - a Yamaha DT50 (jacked up both ends & bored to 59cc - woo! - that I remember being fast but very fragile) & a Yamaha RXS100 (might have been small, but felt like a proper bike to ride):

Attachments:

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 4 months ago #4856

I had both of those bikes when learning to ride! I purchased the dt50 from a school mate he had had a big bore kit fitted and was told to run it in carefully (i think it was 59cc??) however he blitzed it over revving it and managed to seize the engine. I bought it for

Last edit: by tamiya nut.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.