Keyword

TOPIC:

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #23724

what have I started?! (insert face palm here)

Hay Ewe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #23726

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad

what have I started?!

An interesting subject. :)

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #23896

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Fixing the broken antenna wire on my Modelcraft receiver...

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #23899

Got me the Dremel complete kit :y:
I couldn't resist...it was a speciall offer.

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #23914

Got me the Dremel complete kit :y:
I couldn't resist...it was a speciall offer.

Nice :y:

How special was the special offer though? I can't fault genuine Dremel tools (I have a Model 395, the switch has got a bit unreliable & the bearings are getting a bit louder, but that's not bad for 15+ years of (ab)use ) ... BUT I'm really not convinced it's worth spending extra on a larger kit of bits, attachments, boxes, extensions etc if you'll never use them - I only use about 5 bits with any degree of regularity....

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #23915

My recent acquistions have all arrived - Tamiya JIS #1 & #2 screwdrivers, Roebuck Phillips #2, Silverline Phillips #1 (tat, TBH:( )& Teng folding Allen key whatsit (hopefully spending a lot more will mean the smaller sizes will last more than a couple of uses), and Unior 3mm & 2.5mm hex drivers (to replace a further two Core RC tools that might as well have been made of cheese)...

I'm still not convinced by the Tamiya screwdrivers - the points look pretty much identical to Phillips points, but are different sizes... having tried them all on a number of Tamiya's ubiquitous 3mm self tapping screws & m3 machine screws, I'd say the Phillips #2 point seems the tightest fit - but the JIS #2 (large)seems to get in the head a bit further. I think the real test will be how many heads I chew up dismantling cars in future.

:)

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #23916

Nice :y:

How special was the special offer though? I can't fault genuine Dremel tools (I have a Model 395, the switch has got a bit unreliable & the bearings are getting a bit louder, but that's not bad for 15+ years of (ab)use ) ... BUT I'm really not convinced it's worth spending extra on a larger kit of bits, attachments, boxes, extensions etc if you'll never use them - I only use about 5 bits with any degree of regularity....

Well actually it was like 50€ more or less everything included what's on the pictures.
Honestly i can't judge (yet) the reliablility of Dremel tools as i used it ony once. I've read a few times that Dremel was reliable but expensive.
I will keep your comment in mind JR but i'm actually pretty sure that i wont remember it in 15 years ha ha ha

Nice Screwdrivers you got there ! I saw a couple of them on eBay but i don't know if they're are worth the price the seller's are asking for only because they're labelled as Tamiya.
On the other hand what i really need to get real soon is the green cutting mat you got on your picture :y: :y:
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #23923

Well actually it was like 50€ more or less everything included what's on the pictures.

Can't argue at that ... They've got a lot cheaper - mine was more like 120 GBP without the case or extension :blink:

Nice Screwdrivers you got there ! I saw a couple of them on eBay but i don't know if they're are worth the price the seller's are asking for only because they're labelled as Tamiya.

#2/L size was just over 5 GBP, #1/M was 4.50 GBP (both including postage) ... the handles are solid plastic with very prominent mould half lines, so I'm sure you can get better feeling screwdrivers for less money - but not in those sizes; JIS #2 is about 1/2 way between phillips #1 & #2, JIS #1 somewhere between PH1 & PH0

:)

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #24185

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Nice driver stash there, Jonny. B) :y:
And a bit envious about the Dremel. ;)

Cost more than the complete set I ordered (and got refunded) earlier but that's certainly reflected in the quality :

:cheer:

Last edit: by Edou.

It's tool time! 10 years 7 months ago #24199

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Now I kinda need a vice. Why does that always happen with tools? :whistle:
And some tapping oil - anyone know the proper name for that stuff?
No eBay results for those terms...
Just curious, I'll have a look around tomorrow in some non-virtual stores as well.
But I think I'll stick with threading strong plastic rod (still to be found) for now.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.