Keyword

TOPIC:

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50529

I didn't even know this thread existed, this is a great topic I like very much. Tools.....

So I have been working on making my own mini polisher, the main part is a stripped down hand screwdriver with a variable speed controller external powered by a 19v computer charger. The variable speed controller was a must and works really well. This my second version as I over worked the reduction gearbox in it. It works well anyway until I upgrade it again.

Also a sneak preview of my new (pre loved) lathe I am working on cleaning up, I have been threatening getting this for a couple of years. It;s just a mini Clarke CL300M. Quite a tiny little thing but will be perfect for the room I have and the model parts I want to play around with.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Please Log in to join the conversation.

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50534

Nice work - it had never occurred to me to use/make a power tool for scale polishing :blink:

I also had to laugh at your "tiny" lathe - I think that could spin my Unimat between its centres ;)

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50535

I love your mini polisher. It is a great idea.

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50543

+1
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50556

+2

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50569

Thanks, now I have the lathe a can machine a better fixing between motor and polish head.

Yes Jonny, you probably could. Perfect for me at the moment though and the very limited space I am allowed, I mean have :).

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50632

I also had to laugh at your "tiny" lathe - I think that could spin my Unimat between its centres ;)

Well Jonny your comment got me to thinking about that, I have one of those Chinese mini lathes too, looks like Rob's except its mostly green and the Canadian seller calls their brand Craftex. So that being said I went out to the barn and gave it a try.....;)

NOPE....doesn't fit :( :( well it fits but it won't swing it in that direction....So....... I tried it's big brother !

That's better!! :laugh: :laugh:
Don't think I will try powering it up though, the little unimat might not like that too much :(
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, Jonny Retro, stingray-63, Purple_rob, goldfish999, Al

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50635

If the motor fails on the Unimat that's a great way to turbocharge it ;)

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50650

Brilliant Willy,

That craftex is probably the same size as my old one I had. These machines are so useful. I also got a quick change tool like yours on this Clarke, fantastic stuff compared to what I've used before. Price was really good too.

Just wish I had the space for something more substantial but that'll come in time. Young family and house near the school gives me limitations I'm willing to live with right now. I always miss having s milling machine, that may be a future purchase if I can find something reasonably sized.

Bought a few other small tools I'll have to share soon...

Last edit: by Purple_rob.

It's tool time! 5 years 10 months ago #50711

Hey Rob and everybody,
I started out with a Unimat many years ago, I found a lot of the add on bits and made a bunch of little parts on it but after we built our new barn I really wanted a bigger lathe and mill. The Unimat is way to flexible for harder materials and heavier cuts but an amazing little set up none the less. I agreed to sell it all to a mate in one of my scale modeling clubs for a fair price and went looking for a good used bigger machine. I spotted an add for a small milling machine and one of these mini lathes.
I called him up and arranged to come see the mill. Well it was OK and he seemed to be a motivated seller because as I was looking at the mill he kept talking about someone else who was interested in both but had not showed up yet, then he had to sort out the parts that went with the mill and...well I finally got around to asking what the deal was for both the price went from $400 each to $600 for the pair plus all the tooling and stuff....how could I say no?? Brought them both home :) Cleaned them up...a lot .....and built a little stand for them that rolls and stores all the bits underneath. They are mounted back to back and take up surprisingly little room.

A while later I saw the add for the bigger lathe, the seller did not know anything about it, it was poorly set up and had a nice layer of filth on it...sorry...patina ;) .... did some searching and was fairly certain of what it was before I made the drive to see / get it. The price was cheap? I guess, :unsure: given the condition, I should post a pic of it before if I can find one. It got a complete teardown and clean and repaint, no purple is not stock but what the heck it's mine and I have a bunch of it.
It is a 1941 Logan 10 x 24 lathe and this one was originally sold through a department store chain called Montgomery Wards under their Powr- Kraft brand, same idea as the Atlas made lathes that Sears sold branded Craftsman. Is very retro cool if you ask me B) , I might get around to pin striping it someday too, but it is very functional and runs very smooth, they just don't make then like they use too I guess.:( Well worth the time to make it right again.
However I do tend to do most work on the mini lathe especially now that I set it and the mill up with a DIY DRO system :y:
The unimat is a more recent purchase, last summer I was at a yard sale and there it was sitting on a side table :ohmy: it was set up as a drill press and I went right to it...I found the gentleman in charge and asked about it. Yes it was for sale and he proceeded to pull out a box of other pieces for it too. It was the mostly complete basic lathe with a couple of attachments all total...the best part........he was asking $60 for the lot....I don't think I could have gotten my wallet out any faster :laugh:
It needs a bit of work, I just picked up some belting material for it and found suitable new brushes ( anybody else need some?) so I will have it back to working soon I hope then I will decide what to do with it I guess, but how could I pass up a deal like that :ohmy:
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.