Keyword

TOPIC:

It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11457

Sure can. With my work schedule it will take a while. But I'll get something together in the next few weeks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11574

:P my father maked a ttimming bank for me for the sterring and camber angles. It was cheaper than a hoody one. I bought a digital caliber in a discount shop( lidl) and it is very efficient. It looks like yours???? In my job i can see that good tools are synonimous of good work.
Personnaly , I am more serious with my tools than my ealth. And they are more im :P portant than my wears

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11579

This topic got me wondering, seeing as tamiya is a Japanese company is it likely they use 'JIS" screws as opposed to pozidriv?

jis is 'japanese industry standard', and most people don't even know it exists,

they are slightly different from philips and pozidrive, and using the wrong tool often rounds the heads out, (happens a lot on Japanese cars) sadly the correct screwdrivers are hard to get here and expensive, ans most people dont know about it, so blame it on cheap screws when they round out

www.ebay.com/it...3cc7e27198

could be the reason so many tamiya fasteners get damaged, but then again it could be due to heavy handedness

*one of my other interests is tools, well i am mechanic and engineer :P

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11580

This topic got me wondering, seeing as tamiya is a Japanese company is it likely they use 'JIS" screws as opposed to pozidriv?

jis is 'japanese industry standard', and most people don't even know it exists,

they are slightly different from philips and pozidrive, and using the wrong tool often rounds the heads out, (happens a lot on Japanese cars) sadly the correct screwdrivers are hard to get here and expensive, ans most people dont know about it, so blame it on cheap screws when they round out

rover.ebay.com/...3cc7e27198

could be the reason so many tamiya fasteners get damaged, but then again it could be due to heavy handedness

*one of my other interests is tools, well i am mechanic and engineer :P

That would explain why the engine cover machine screws get so chewed up on Japanese bikes & the need to replace them with cap heads ...

TBH I get annoyed with all the variations of cross headed screws ... to me screws come in 5 types:

1 - Torx heads
2 - slot head
3 - hex head
4 - ones that need drilling and or grinding
5 - cross headed, and I'll use any screwdriver that "fits" :whistle:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11581

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
It seems to get confirmation on the web that Tamiya uses JIS.
One point of recognition would be a dot that's stamped into the head...
I cannot see this on the normal screws, but they're definitely there on the titanium.

:ohmy:

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11583

That would explain why the engine cover machine screws get so chewed up on Japanese bikes & the need to replace them with cap heads ...

TBH I get annoyed with all the variations of cross headed screws ... to me screws come in 5 types:

1 - Torx heads
2 - slot head
3 - hex head
4 - ones that need drilling and or grinding
5 - cross headed, and I'll use any screwdriver that "fits" :whistle:

tell me about it, i only fairly recently found out about the existence of them, i used to blame cheap quality screws, when i was using the wrong driver .. but then how should people know, when there are 3 variations on the cross head, all semi compatible (i could write a topic on x head screws alone :unsure: )

and yeah.. then when you work on cars you have those 5 plus another dozen or so types that you occasionally need :I torx plus, Robertson square, Ribe CV etc... thankfully you don't see them all that often

It seems to get confirmation on the web that Tamiya uses JIS.
One point of recognition would be a dot that's stamped into the head...
I cannot see this on the normal screws, but they're definitely there on the titanium.

:ohmy:

yeah, that happens on cars too, they 'should' have the marking dot but very often they don't, and at a glance they look very similar to Philips, and don't even have the pozidrive 'notches' in them

shame the 'correct' drivers are hard to get, ill be buying a set from America at some point (Vessel make good JIS, there Japanese but hard to find in the uk, although you can get them through toyota as there listed as official tools) moody tools (those ones i linked) are supposed to be good to, not cheap though, mainly due to postage)

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11585

Dont talk to me about Japanese motorcycle engine screws i once rebuilt my grandmothers old Honda cub 90 engine and they gave me nightmares using an impact driver to split the engine cases. I must have rounded a lot of them off i remember having to drill the heads off a lot then remove the stud...a nightmare of a job. The old Honda cubs where a fantastic bike ugly as sin but ran forever. I replaced them all with socket headed screws and they never gave me a days trouble......why Honda?? :blink:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11586

......why Honda?? :blink:

I don't know, in terms of boneheadness it pales into insignificance agains the CX500 Turbo :blink:

When people talked about that sort of machine screw as "cheese head" I thought they were referring to what the heads were made of ... it was the best part of two decades before I realised it meant the shape of the head - rounded on the edges both top & bottom, like a wheel of cheese :lol: :silly:

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #11587

The last Honda i rebuilt was a CB750KZ now that was a lump took three of us to lift the engine out of the chassis and i still managed to put my back out for a week. Funnily this was fitted with the socket headed screws already even though it was a 76 if i remember correctly. took me a whole year to restore it then sold it for peanuts to help out a now ex girlfriend bloody women :evil: funny thing is i never used it after i had restored it it sat in my fathers shed for a while then when i went back for it it had a thick layer of dust over it again :silly:

Edit: I was wrong it was an 81

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: It's tool time! 11 years 7 months ago #12198

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Yes, it's dandy - but oh so useful and definitely on my wish list.
Who knows what it is though?

:silly:
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.