Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The stunning, original vintage RC10... 11 years 3 weeks ago #19076

I remember a few years ago, wondering if I would ever get an original RC10, whether it was worth it, and where I could find images of people building and detailing it like the box art image. There didn't seem to be anything definitive around at the time though.

To me, the original model, being from 1984, is a model very much designed to appeal to Tamiya fans as much as racers. Sure, the car went on to become a racing legend. But it's look was clearing driven by a market dominated by realism. This was before the days of "lexan blobs", when even Associated gave a toss about realism. ;)

Anyway, the www.rc10talk.com forum now has threads dealing with box art style RC10s, and some guys have done a stellar job of creating the perfect look. Maybe this will inspire some of you tamiyabase people to follow suit? Credit for this car and pics to the guys here .

www.rctoymemories.com - A nostalgia site about vintage and retro radio controlled cars & other toys, from Tamiya, Nikko, Kyosho, Radio Shack and many more.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Hibernaculum.

The stunning, original vintage RC10... 11 years 4 days ago #19997

So little love on TB for the RC10? :P
www.rctoymemories.com - A nostalgia site about vintage and retro radio controlled cars & other toys, from Tamiya, Nikko, Kyosho, Radio Shack and many more.

The stunning, original vintage RC10... 11 years 4 days ago #19998

HI!... I luv the RC10! I own 18 of them. :woohoo: Check my Showroom on here and in the Associated section. You'll see some of my shelf queens.

The stunning, original vintage RC10... 11 years 3 days ago #20010

I'm a bit ambivalent about the RC10 ... in my youth there was a lot of inverted snobbery about it - it wasn't a Tamiya, and only the "spoilt kids" with "rich parents" could have one :whistle: Bit hard to shake that off TBH...

I've had a couple of RC10s - one was a "Ascot" Sprint car (basically, take a gold tub, cut it up :blink: & add GRP chassis, nerf bars, roll car & a monster wing) ... I enjoyed fiddling with it, but in the end it really did nothing for me, so I sold it on ...

The other was a B2 version, it looked good on eBay, but turned out to have been badly abused - so I thrashed it mercilessly (even with one front corner ripped off, handling & steering was superior to any Tamiya I've had) & lashed it up to keep it going, until it got that bad that no amount of zip ties & duct tape would fix it ...

I'd quite like to have an original gold tubber on the shelf or for Sunday best running, but it's really not high on my list, and probably never will be - leaving aside the lack of spares in the UK, the silly imperial fasteners (especially the countersunk screws with the "wrong" aviation angle on them) & needing tools for them, what on earth can you do to restore a gold anodised aluminium tub?

The stunning, original vintage RC10... 11 years 3 days ago #20014

HI!... When I restore my RC10's I glass been the chassis down to bare aluminum and have a local company powder coat them. Took forever to get the two different gold colours right. The black is pretty basic. A lot more durable than anodizing IMO. And a lot cheaper. If I remember correctly I was only paying $8 to have a complete chassis powder coated inside and out.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.