Keyword

TOPIC:

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18208

Didn't really want to ask as it appears you're already swamped with stuff to do,
but I kinda miss the "member location" map/button thingy in people's avatars next to their posts (& the map in profile) - it was nice to see where people are in the world, especially for trading purposes.

The "Who's viewing" list at the top of the topics was also useful, so you could see if someone was still looking & perhaps typing a question requiring a quick answer (So you knew whether or not to hang on until they posted)

The awards in the avatars were quite handy as you could use them to get some idea of how viable suggestions/answers were, eg it used to blatantly show how good Jonny is at stuff & showed others he knows what he's talking about, whereas without this "Qualification badging" one might not believe a suggested method to do something wouldn't lead to some kind of disaster (Say), does that make sense?

Will these features be included at some point?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18218

I agree location is a useful thing to know, but I was never a big fan of the google map thing - all too often the area shown was too narrow & I had to guess at the country.

I think a combo box for country in user profiles & having that displayed to the left of posts would be far more useful, failing that a simple text field :)

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18231

Yeah I'd go with that too, a far better idea!

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18236

Hi Lars,
one other odd thing I get on my ipad (mainly, don't think I get this on my pc), is the first time I load the home page I get:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12109686 bytes) in
/home/admin/public_html/libraries/joomla/cache/storge/file.php on line 142

with a page refresh the home page loads correctly,

regards

Johann

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18307

Hey Lars, I notice that we have a my topic's tab, however unless a member adds links in their sig to topic's they have started it's hard to check out past build's etc. Would it be possible to add a topic's started tab in the profile area? cheers Andy :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18384

I had the weekend off(line) so sorry for the delay in response.

Didn't really want to ask as it appears you're already swamped with stuff to do,
but I kinda miss the "member location" map/button thingy in people's avatars next to their posts (& the map in profile) - it was nice to see where people are in the world, especially for trading purposes.

The member map function and map in the Forums is on the agenda just now.

The "Who's viewing" list at the top of the topics was also useful, so you could see if someone was still looking & perhaps typing a question requiring a quick answer (So you knew whether or not to hang on until they posted)

It seems like the upgraded software I am now using no longer supports this feature. I haven't given up yet...

The awards in the avatars were quite handy as you could use them to get some idea of how viable suggestions/answers were, eg it used to blatantly show how good Jonny is at stuff & showed others he knows what he's talking about, whereas without this "Qualification badging" one might not believe a suggested method to do something wouldn't lead to some kind of disaster (Say), does that make sense?

The Award system I'm now using is a different one from the old site. This one does not have the Forum integration built in, but I will look to see if it can be customized.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18390

I agree location is a useful thing to know, but I was never a big fan of the google map thing - all too often the area shown was too narrow & I had to guess at the country.

I think a combo box for country in user profiles & having that displayed to the left of posts would be far more useful, failing that a simple text field :)

The Member Map and location widget on the Forum is now in place. I will look to see if I can also add Country info to the Forum profile. The country combo box is already used in the Profile registration.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Last edit: by larbut.

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18392

Hi Lars,
one other odd thing I get on my ipad (mainly, don't think I get this on my pc), is the first time I load the home page I get:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12109686 bytes) in
/home/admin/public_html/libraries/joomla/cache/storge/file.php on line 142

with a page refresh the home page loads correctly,

regards

Johann

I don't get that error on my iPad. It could sound like your ipad has cached the frontpage with an error. Try emty the ipad browser's cache and see what happens. (Sorry I don't know how to do that... I'm a PC guy ;-))

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 2 months ago #18408

Thanks Lars, deleting the cache on my ipad did the trick. I also looked into Joomla optimisations, but a lot seemed to be version dependent. Not knowing a lot I didn't want to recommend something that could potentially cause more harm than good. Although in saying that the site does seem a lot more responsive now,

regards

Johann

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 11 years 1 month ago #18435

Hey Lars, I notice that we have a my topic's tab, however unless a member adds links in their sig to topic's they have started it's hard to check out past build's etc. Would it be possible to add a topic's started tab in the profile area? cheers Andy :)

I have now added a new Forum menu tab -> "Topics I started" and renamed "My Topcis" to "My recent Topics"
I have still not found a way to display any user's Topics Started in their profile, but it's a good idea, so I will keep looking.

-Lars

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.