Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trying Again - Lowride Pumpkin

Trying Again - Lowride Pumpkin 1 month 1 week ago #56597

Hey all,
Not trying to hi-jack your thread Jonny.....honest..... ;)
Thanks for the measurements on the Tamiya truck axle, I have never bought one of those kits to check myself. Yes a bit of a narrowing would be required but as you mention it would be fairly straight forward. :)
As for the wheels, I have thought before about making a 12mm hex to 5mm shaft conversion but always get stuck on how to elegantly retain them. I have seen some offered for sale but they would not be very functional in the long run as the whole assembly was retained with a washer over the end that would just wear on the rim. Perhaps a tiny thrust bearing or?? but I think the result would be fairly ugly. But for a shelf queen it's no problem, drill out the center of a couple of 12mm hexes and put them in the rim, slip it over the axle and put on the nut, looks fine, it will turn but it would not work well for too long. :(

But really I am watching this space to see what our friend m. Retro come up with on this build, perhaps I will need to start my own and build a f-100 of my own. :y:
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Trying Again - Lowride Pumpkin 1 month 1 week ago #56608

TBH if you're expecting any more than a few body mods & a paintjob this time around, you're going to be disappointed... all a chassis really is to me is a way to hold the wheels in the right positions in relation to the bodywork, with approximately the right steering/drive functions in the right places.

If I was to attempt a properly realistic chassis for the Pumpkin, it wouldn't be in 1:12 - just too fidlly. Building it in 1:10 brings its own problems - mostly the curves on the body, it's just not something I'm interested in doing.

:)

Trying Again - Lowride Pumpkin 1 month 1 week ago #56614

I'm maybe out but what is the problem with the beetle wheeles? They have a vintage look and good size for a m chassis.

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Trying Again - Lowride Pumpkin 1 month 1 week ago #56617

stingray-63 wrote: I'm maybe out but what is the problem with the beetle wheeles? They have a vintage look and good size for a m chassis.

Nothing at all - I just want to turn a bit off the inside to fit narrower/taller tyres (Scorcher fronts) & dechrome them :)

Trying Again - Lowride Pumpkin 1 month 1 week ago #56620

Nice! Nothing stock. I can't wait to see your pumpkins. :)

Moderators: Jonny RetroAndyAus
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok