Keyword

TOPIC:

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47012

So i got myself a new re-re hopper (tamiya 58346), which as you will know is a true base level entry model, luckily i got to have a go with a mates one and realised how poorly it handled, my conclusions were:
1 front end is not fit for purpose at all, horrendous toe in and camber when under any sort of load, basically it wont turn effectively at any sort of speed :( :( :(
2 back end has only straight up or down and virtually no tiltability through the vertical axis, great for a drift car but not for an ATV
hope the pics below help explain

Also here is a link to the original build of my re-re hopper and the discussions that lead to the decisions on what mods to undertake tamiyabase.com/...ello#46897

So a full modification of the front end including oil shocks is required and the rear end will be changed to the old hornet style floating system but with a fixed pivot (rather than the third shock mod) to stop the infamous bunny hop/torque slap probs of old, and of course oil shocks and maybe a sway bar for good measure :y:
I've will include as many Tamiya and other product part numbers used in the mods as i can, in case anyone wants to do the same :y:
Hopefully i will have a hopper that handles like a DT-02 by the end of it but at twice the cost haha, at least i will have the best local hopper i hope :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, Tobiwahnknobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by goldfish999.

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47025

They call it a Hopper for a reason, lol.

The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47026

They call it a Hopper for a reason, lol.

Your not wrong there Edou :) :) :)
It was reading some of your old threads as it happens that persuaded me along with watching a few of Pintopower(ampro engineering) utube vids that it was worth having a go at removing the hop from the hopper :y:
If it works out right i'll end up with a "grassper" :) :) :)
Love the original Hornet rear shocks, im having to graft the hornet balls onto modern shocks, not so easy when the hornet shaft was M4 and the spring seat 10mm all modern shocks seem to be M3 and 16mm seat :cry: I shall not be defeated tho haha :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47027

Here is my upgraded hornet. bearings and you G shocks on each corner.

And this one, is waiting its time :p the body was too brocken.
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47028

The blue shocks are neat. :)

I should've grabbed a complementary set when I had the chance...

Great car to mod. I think I fiddled around with the Hornet ball ends as well at first. But there's still a set of CVAs waiting for it, the Frog shocks are too stiff really. And not to forget - Street Rover wheels.

B)

I'll be following with interest.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, goldfish999

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47029

Well thats the first job done :)
A set of fastrax 70mm aluminium shocks modified to hornet bottom balls for the initial hornet standardish rear end build :y:

Quite pleased with the result, tho might change the springs for the slightly stiffer ones out of the CVA set i have for later mods
Attachments:

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47030

They sound good. :y:

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47031

All parts assembled for the conversion to hornet floating back end with center pivot (instead of third shock mod)

Hornet plastics all from D pack (9005156)
Axle springs (9805304)
Axle shaft (3555057)
Lower shock retainers (4305109)
Ampro axle retainer tab (045005-05)
Fastrax 70mm aluminium shocks

I have already grafted the hornet lower balls on to the fastrax shocks, below is a generic pic of them before modding to hornet lower ball fitment
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Tobiwahnknobi

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47040

So thats the back end striped back down

While the axle is off decided to change the motor

Quite a difference in size between old 380 to the 540

Re-Re Grasshopper full suspension mods and a few more bits :-) 6 years 3 months ago #47047

Time to fit the center pivot

Decided to drill and tap it to take M3 , even tho it seemed very tight and unmoveable after it was fitted i decided to also add flange grip nuts just to make sure it never moves, it does take a lot of strain after all :y:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by goldfish999.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.