Keyword

TOPIC:

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52830

Some may have seen the TL01 stuff I picked up earlier this week.

Here is the parts all cleaned.

The reason I bought this stuff in the first place was because it included the rare 53331 lightweight chassis with the included parts that comes with chassis.
I have several TL01 chassis in my collection so the extra bits was welcome too, and there was very few parts in that lot that actually met the skip, so most is useable.
Some parts are HBX too, but think most is orginal TL01.

This build I will try to make the chassis as light as possible with the available parts without hacking anything.
For this reason I made the propellar shaft out of a 5mm carbon rod, the orginal steel one is heavy.
The orginal Tamiya carbon propellar shaft is hard to get hold of these days, and do fetch a bit of steep price tag, so homemade it is!!

Installed

You will be surprised how heavy the steel shafts for the gears are, they are 22g in total.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52831

Versus the stainless steel one from the chassis kit and 3 homemade ones in carbon.
Total weight 5 grams!!

Front gears and diff installed

I also fitted the speed tuned gears (black) which came in the parts lot.
Was out of Tamiya endcaps for the diff, so a HBX one will do for now.

Main chassis tub is complete

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52832

Also included in the lot were these aftermarket suspension arms + the pins.
I think they are ment for the HBX car, but as those are a TL01 copy car they will fit right on the TL01.

Fitted

There was too much slope in the arms when installed so I hand filed them til I could fit a thin washer and there was no drag on the arms, aka they moved freely.

Also fitted the FRP chassis brace and the swaybar holder which is included in the chassis kit as well.
I may make my own swaybars as my LHS has a good selection of piano wire, if I can't find the TLO1 stabilizer for a reasonable cost.

Can someone point me in the direction of a kit with 3x10 self tapper titanium screws?
Don't have to be Tamiya, allen key heads would be nice :y:

For now I use black self tappers from a semi kit I'm working on...

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52835

How do you recognize the lightweight chassis? And what is HBX?

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52839

How do you recognize the lightweight chassis? And what is HBX?

Easy, it's grey, the normal chassis is black.
And it comes with the FRP brace, stainless steel tube for the gears and bracket for the stabilizer.

HBX is short for Haiboxing, a china brand.
They copied the TL01 and made a Monster Truck called Bonzer, really a TL01B with Wild Dagger style body and wheel'n tires.
Also made a regular TL01 just called Skyline since, well.... It had a Skyline body :laugh:

There are some small differences, like brown gears, spider star inside the diff is of a different design, but uses the other diff parts as Tamiya TL01.
Screws are black insteAd of silver on Tamiya and the king pin screws were gold, usually Tamiya are either silver or black.
Chassis is 1-2mm longer or shorter, can't remember. So a half and half Tamiya and HBX chassis halfes will not line up propperly.
HBX variant came with differnt number of bearings vs bushing on each car so no car were the same.
The Wild Dagger style vehicle had a 550 motor with a big heat sink.
The shocks looks like a copy of the pogo spring shocks from Taniya.
Screws holding the shocks to vehicle is of the same design of the TL01.

They also made one called Cross Tiger, basicly the same as the Bonzer Monster Truck.

That's all I can remember right now..

Take a look here of how scary similar the HBX is to TL01.
This version looks like the Baja King
morfars.zendesk...VO-Skyline
Here the Monster Truck version
morfars.zendesk...er-Bigfoot

I actually owned a HBX Cross Tiger over 10 years ago.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by caprinut.

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52840

Thank you very much my friend. :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52842

Manuals are very similar. Same the manga guys are the same. That's crazy. :huh:

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52843

Nice build Buddy :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52844

With the TL-01 being possibly my least favourite Tamiya chassis I'd hoped for a more radical dissection, losing as much as possible of the brick section between the gearboxes in favour of a carbon base plate & top brace - however anything you can do to improve it has got to be a good thing :y:

What's the provenance of the carbon fibre shaft? I have to ask after seeing someone on TC make their own & seeing it shredded after a short run; tent poles & fishing rods don't have the torsional strength required ...

53331 TL01 Lightweight Chassis build. 5 years 4 months ago #52848

Nice build Buddy :)

Thank you :y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.