Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4456

Your patience for the body work is amazing. Looks awesome so far.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4459

Fine putty on, will sand off soon ...

Attachments:

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4483

Body ready for priming ...

Paint on the wheels came of very easily - I'll respray them white again ...

Attachments:

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4510

I think this car went to the right owner, you could see what should have been done to it but most people wouldnt have been able through lack of knowledge and ability. You have transformed it using a lot of patience and your awesome bodywork skills. I like this a lot and look forward to the finished article.

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4537

Primed & painted the wheels, body also got primed, and didn't have anything I thought I could improve on, so got it's first coat of white ... and a nasty run - I hate spraying white :(

Did a little more with the headlamps - popped in some LEDs & machine screws, held in with milliput, which also forms a "reflector" ... didn't really get the angle I was hoping for, but never mind ... once the epoxy starts to harden I'll scrape out a little round the edge to make a "shelf" for some lexan to sit on later on ...

Attachments:

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4538

Well that went more easily that I thought ... spookily, a 5p coin was exactly the right size for the apertures, so I just squished one in there & popped it out again.

Should also make getting the lexan the right size a lot easier too :D

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4554

Bit more filler ...

Lenses ... I'd like make these slightly domed, so I'm looking for some hard & spherical to shape them on ... I think a glass prosthetic eye would be perfect :whistle:

Wheels paintd & tyres lettered ...

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4556

looking cool, what LED's are you using and how are you powering them?
if you have epoxyed them in how will you replace them if they fail?

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4557

They're 3mm & white ... I've got the specs somewhere ... or at least a link to them ... I think :whistle:

Power ... I hooked 3 up in series to a 9v battery & they worked & didn't go off like flashbulbs - but at the moment, the wiring is just a couple of wires coming out the back of each headlamp shell :D

You've spotted the drawback in my cunning plan there ... there's no way to replace them if they fail :( ... but I'm kind of looking at this as a proof of concept more than anything - if after all this fiddling about they look rubbish, then there's no point trying again ... if they look good though, it worth having a crack at making them replaceable ... I can't say I'm too worried, I can't remember when I've ever had an LED fail, apart from getting the voltage wrong, or backwards ... or managing to rip the wires off :)

Re: DT-02 Grasshopper redux 12 years 4 months ago #4559

They're 3mm & white ... I've got the specs somewhere ... or at least a link to them ... I think :whistle:

Power ... I hooked 3 up in series to a 9v battery & they worked & didn't go off like flashbulbs - but at the moment, the wiring is just a couple of wires coming out the back of each headlamp shell :D

You've spotted the drawback in my cunning plan there ... there's no way to replace them if they fail :( ... but I'm kind of looking at this as a proof of concept more than anything - if after all this fiddling about they look rubbish, then there's no point trying again ... if they look good though, it worth having a crack at making them replaceable ... I can't say I'm too worried, I can't remember when I've ever had an LED fail, apart from getting the voltage wrong, or backwards ... or managing to rip the wires off :)

why connect up 3? what resistors are you using? i connrcted 2 up to a 9v battery and without a resistor they blew instantly

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.