Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Minis in 1:10: Graham (2012 Cooper) & Snowy (1977 1098 Saloon)

58295 M-03L 2002 Mini Cooper build 4 months 4 weeks ago #55333

I love it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My Minis in 1:10: Graham (2012 Cooper) & Snowy (1977 1098 Saloon) 1 month 2 weeks ago #56489

Started on 1 1:10 version of "Snowy", my 1977 1098cc Austin Mini from back in the day ... I don't have a chassis for it yet but wanted to get the bulk of the painting done while the weather is still warm.

I don't like the bodykitted look of the shell I bought, or the silly wipers, but Tamiya kits & bodies cost more than I want to spend.

I left about 1cm below the front bumper on the scrap I cut off (keeping the front number plate support, but a combination of the polycarbonate being very thin there + a bit too much pressure on the scalpel meant the cut wandered :(

I marked a new bottom line with tape & recut, it almost looks like I intended it from the start, especially as I also trimmed a little more off the sills & rounded the bottom corners of the spats.

After masking I hit the inside with Tamiya PS-1 White, being a pretty decent match to the Ford (really) Diamond White the 1:1 version was painted with.

Attachments:

My Minis in 1:10: Graham (2012 Cooper) & Snowy (1977 1098 Saloon) 1 month 2 weeks ago #56492

:huh: bumpers and grill are moulded now??

My Minis in 1:10: Graham (2012 Cooper) & Snowy (1977 1098 Saloon) 1 month 2 weeks ago #56496

stingray-63 wrote: :huh: bumpers and grill are moulded now??

This is a "matrixline" "branded" shell, but Tamiya haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in that department - while the 58149 Rover Mini Cooper & the 58163 monte Carlo (M-01) might have separate chromed parts, the 58211 "Racing" (M-03) version at least doesn't, IDK about all the other versions.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

My Minis in 1:10: Graham (2012 Cooper) & Snowy (1977 1098 Saloon) 1 month 2 weeks ago #56519

PS-whatebs Silver sprayed (it got very splatterey at the end :() + masking removed, I've also got a chassis for it - the cheapest M-05 I could possibly find. It's an NSU TT Jagermeister, which with the ESC removed & cashing in my saved points was just over 7 GBP (really) from Fusion Hobbies :y: :D

The wheels are vaguely like the one on the original "Snowy", but will require modification to look a bit more like the 10" size & higher profile tyres.

In the interests of squeezing every bit of fun/experience out of the kit, I do want to make the Lexan TT body a lot more like the NSU Prinz 4 it's based on before selling on, my plan so I don't forget is to:
- sort the silly boot/deck lid shenanigans;
- lose the front valance, narrow the wheel spats if possible;
- no smoke on the windows, lose any decals that have racing/sponsorship pretensions;
- I do have most of a can of PS-7 orange, but would like to paint in a more subdued colour, possibly PS-32 Corsa Grey;
- add styrene bumpers
- possibly add a basic interior at swage line level (flat sheet with hints at dash, steering wheel, seat backs)

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

• Page:
Moderators: Jonny RetroAndyAus
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok