Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 58518 Super Clod Buster Build 5 years 7 months ago #51714

Awesome V8. :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blakbird's 58518 Super Clod Buster Build 5 years 7 months ago #51715

The modifications you've done on this Clod are awesome!
The motor in particular is just over the top! :y: :laugh:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Blakbird's 58518 Super Clod Buster Build 5 years 7 months ago #51716

The modifications you've done on this Clod are awesome!
The motor in particular is just over the top!

Thanks. The engine came out even better than I was hoping. It fits really well with the Clod style.

Blakbird's 58518 Super Clod Buster Build 5 years 7 months ago #51717

I really wanted a simple interior in this truck including a driver, and that meant swapping out the stock tinted plastic window with a clear polycarbonate version. Luckily I found just the thing at RC4WD.
The installation couldn't really be any easier. Unscrew the old one piece window and screw in the new one. Because the new version is flexible it doesn't fit quite as snugly, but it looks good. See before and after below.
Next up is the driver. I used a Tamiya 1/10 scale figure. He seems a little large for this model, but it was as close as I could get. I had to saw off his legs to get him to fit while still keeping room for the electronics beneath. I chose the head with the helmet since that seemed appropriate for a monster truck. Behind him I put a pair of bucket seat backs.
A couple of final shots of the driver.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Fuzzy

Blakbird's 58518 Super Clod Buster Build 5 years 7 months ago #51718

The last thing to do is improve the lighting. I got these tail light lenses and housings 3D printed from AMPro Engineering and then painted the lenses as shown.
Here is the rear end before and after. The stock tail lights are just stickers. I used a drill, a Dremel, and a file to hollow out a spot for the lenses and then glued them in. There are red LEDs in back and halogen LEDs up front controlled by a Tamiya light box.
I painted the body with a Model Master metallic turquoise for the main color and Tamiya gun metal gray for the mountains along the bottom. All the stickers and body details are stock. These pictures were taken when the aluminum wheels still had the wide track width, so the final model is about 1.5 inches narrower.
Here is a comparison of the final model before and after I fixed the track width, added a driver, put on 4-link, and put in the blown V-8.

Blakbird's 58518 Super Clod Buster Build 5 years 7 months ago #51719

Woohoooo. Your productions are impressive. Congrats. I love the engine and the wheeles.

Blakbird's 58518 Super Clod Buster Build 4 years 9 months ago #55566

Another summer arrived and I found that I wasn't really driving my Clod because the steering was so bad. I finally decided to cave in and go to dual axle mounted servos instead of the single standard chassis mounted servo. I started by ordering the nice BTA (Behind the Axle) servo mount and link set from CPE shown on the left , but it didn't work. The servo mount interferes with the shock mounts so it can't be used. Instead I found a set of aluminum front bumpers with an integrated servo mount on eBay.
Here are some pictures of the front axle before and after the upgrade. The changes are pretty obvious. The original blue plastic front bumper has been replaced with aluminum and now I have dual steering servos. It made all the difference in the world. The Clod now handles like it should and is actually fun to drive.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.