Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54211

I am in the process of installing a TLU-02 and two TLU-01 units in my Bruiser. Does anyone know the correct LED layout? I am trying to figure out what the clear lenses next to the headlights are for. Are they running lights, turn signals, etc? I assume the amber lenses in the front bumper are turn signals and should only be on when flashing a turn. I believe the front (amber) and rear (red) side markers should be on with the headlights. As far as the rear taillights, the top (amber) is turn signal, the next down is backup (clear), but I am unsure about the bottom 2 (red). Are they both brake lights? One brake and one running (if so, which is which)? Sorry, my OCD wants to make the LED functionality as realistic as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54212

I ran into most of the same questions wiring my own Bruiser. The front bumper lights and corner lights are both turn signals. A real Hilux has only 3 bulbs in each tail light. The lower red brake light lens is bigger but has a single bulb. On the model, you have two bulbs so you'd wire them to be both on the same circuit. You won't have enough turn circuits to run 3 turn signals unless you assign both TLU-01 modules to be Type A, but then you'll be short on some other types like position lights. I ran one front and one rear turn signal and put the corner lights on an extra headlight circuit using one TLU-01 as Type A and one as Type B.

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54220

You can run up to three white and four red/orange led in series on one TLU01 port. So cut and solder.

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54221

Thanks Blakbird! It sounds like you did your research on this. Much appreciated! I assume you used a 3mm white led for the corner lights then? do you know if the real Hilux uses amber bulbs for the corner lights? Thanks again!

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54222

Thanks Waterbok! That is good information! I was going to ask if this was possible. Do you know if this rule applies to both 5mm and 3mm LED's? Is this based on your current draw calculations or something else? thanks again!

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54223

Thanks Blakbird! It sounds like you did your research on this. Much appreciated! I assume you used a 3mm white led for the corner lights then? do you know if the real Hilux uses amber bulbs for the corner lights? Thanks again!

I used amber for the corner lights. I'm not 100% certain what the 1:1 does, but in most countries it is not legal to use white for turn signals so I assume they are amber.

For an accurate appearance, you'll want to get some halogen colored lights for the headlights instead of the white that come with the TLU-01.

Attachments:

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54225

Thanks Waterbok! That is good information! I was going to ask if this was possible. Do you know if this rule applies to both 5mm and 3mm LED's? Is this based on your current draw calculations or something else? thanks again!

Size doesn't matter it's the led colour. Orange/red has 2volts, white 3.2 or something like that.
I have two or three cars with the TLU where I tried this.
I just solder 3 or 4 led in series and then test it with the TLU if they light up. If not I go back one led.
Also depend a bit on the voltage that comes from the battery.

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54226

Of course the LEDs will get dimmer as you add more to the same circuit, so you'll have to be the judge what brightness is acceptable to you.

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54236

That makes sense. Thanks Waterbok!

Last edit: by agroens.

Tamiya Bruiser LED kit install question 5 years 1 month ago #54237

Understood. Thanks Blakbird!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.