Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58305

The 58063 Lunchbox from 1987 was not the first ever Tamiya wheelie model (that honor goes to the Wild Willy), but it was the first to use the CW-01 chassis, though it would not be called that until later. This is a big wheel chassis similar in appearance to the Blackfoot or Monster Beetle, but modified with balance for popping wheelies. This is still a solid axle, 2WD model though. The front suspension is a simple swing arm type with camber that changes as a function of suspension travel. The advantage is a huge amount of travel that allows it to soak up the impact of the front end coming down. The combination of this simple suspension, simple long travel undamped shocks, and huge tires with no foams makes the model bounce like a rabbit. It is remarkably capable off road in spite of its simplicity.

The Lunchbox uses what appears to be an 80's Dodge van hard body in 1/12 scale. The same chassis was used later for the 58070 Midnight Pumpkin with a Ford F-100 body. These were the only models released on this chassis in the 80's, and both came back as re-releases in the 00's along with various color variations, Expert Built versions, and a couple of Unimog bodies. The chassis is still in production and essentially unchanged after 30+ years. My version of the Lunchbox is the 58347 re-release from 2005.

Something must surely be said about the design and its back story. While a monster truck van may seem like an odd choice, the 80's were an odd time. If you could jack up a chassis and put big tires on it, somebody probably tried it. There was a monster truck called "Rollin' Thunder" on which the Lunchbox was surely based. Even the diagonal lightning bolt graphic matches. Tamiya must not have had a license for it though, so they changed the name. Who is "Vanessa" and why would this van be her lunch box? Why not?

This is my third model using the CW-01 chassis so I've already said pretty much everything I'm going to say about it elsewhere. It is fun. Get one.

The Lunchbox uses exactly the same CW-01 chassis as the Midnight Pumpkin which I've already documented in detail. Please see that page for more information on the build.

The Lunchbox comes in a largish box with lovely hand drawn art. Inside are a relatively small number of parts for this simple chassis. The main bathtub, wheels, and tires consume the vast bulk of the kit volume. I'm adding a set of Fast Eddy ball bearings.
The chassis looks exactly like the Midnight Pumpkin. The only change I made was to add a rear axle stabilizer from AmPro Engineering so it won't slap up and down so much. The hard plastic body is a lot smaller than I expected. This is a 1/12 scale model after all. The body mounts with pins on the side so there is nothing sticking out from the roof.
Here I've painted the shell, applied the stickers, and then put a couple of coats of clear over the top. It looks really nice. At this point I have not added any of the other body details nor painted the trim.
Now I've installed the windows, painted the window trim and silver rain gutter, and attached the front and rear bumpers. I also painted some details around the front and rear lights.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58306

You can't argue with the beauty of a box art Lunchbox. I knew it would be good looking but it exceeded my expectations.

Here's a picture of the real Rollin' Thunder van for comparison. Not a bad likeness.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58307

Shiny B)

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58308

Shiny B)

Thanks. It probably won't stay that way.

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58309

Vanessa is my second rc I drove bashed and used. And still my favorite one. And with its yellow livery....
I still have a first edition body I painted boxart. And I have in mind to rebuild an xth chassis for it.

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58310

Blackbird you missed to add a vintage lights kit (or warm white leds kit) it is too tiny with them. ;)

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58316

Blackbird you missed to add a vintage lights kit (or warm white leds kit) it is too tiny with them. ;)

I'll probably make some more mods in the future. I'd like to add front LEDs and also get some 3D printed lenses for the rear so I can add lights there too. I may build a custom interior with driver as well.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58318

A pure custom.

Blakbird's 58347 Lunchbox Build 4 years 1 month ago #58338

Lunchbox is my favorite too :y:
I have 4 of them lol and 2x MP.

Good to see a shiny Lunchbox :y:

BTW: The Lunchbox is a 71-78 Dodge, the and the real van had the name Tradesvan. The same with windows on the side was named Sportsvan ;)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.