Keyword

TOPIC:

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65378

Thanks. If I count my very first lexan body paintjobs, this Hornet should be the 7th body I painted.
  • Marui Hunter, back in eighties. A complete disaster. Wanted to do a 2 color schema, started by the dark one, applied it, then next day applied the lighter one. The paints reacted together :-(. Lesson learned : do use paints from the same paint system always for a body. I finally applied a silver on top of the body, as it was the only way to save it (no way to find spare body available, neither ways to clean it properly at that time).
  • Kyosho Phantom (again in eighties). Did simple white to avoid doing mess again. Use the car for a few weeks, and sold it to a friend as track was not my thing.
  • My DT03 Racing Fighter. decided for blue and 3 lines of colors (a large white and two small silver). Easy, you have to paint the darker first, the lighter, then white (in such case, backing is not really needed). Finished the body by applying black to make it clean
  • My son's DT03 Racing fighter. He decided the colours and the schema, I did applied the paint. For the neon green, backing was required. One difficulty: thinking about the mask tape and the order you will remove them to apply them in right sequence (as he wanted lines crossing)
  • My Daughter's DT03 Neo Fighter - The Frog. Very easy to do, actually
  • Kyosho - Turbo Scorpion. Wanted something really special, and decided to go for the cutter (Silhouette Cameo 4 and Silhouette Studio for the software). Also used Liquid masking for the first time to define my work zones. While doing first attemps with the cutter, the key difficulty is really to transfer the mask (Oramask 810 - also tried other masks, but they did not worked as good as the oramask) onto the body. I finally found it is easier to apply the mask without removing the un-necessary parts on the body and to remove them while on the body. It makes the things slightly easier as it sticks better on the body than on the vinyl you use to transfer (only found that for the very last masks I applied)
  • Tamiya Hornet. On this one, I tried to apply all masks first, then full paint for the body before doing the details. The thing is that at the end, with fluo, you need quite a good number of paint layer to get the color right. And the white then. If I had removed the masks for the white and applied the white at the same time as backing the orange fluo, it would have saved me a few layers of paint, plus would have ease the removal of the other details (when I removed them later on, it was very difficult to see the cut line, making this even more difficult)...
  • Will probably continue learning during next body paints. I have already few builds and paint in plans...
That being said, the real difficulty will be the one a hard body (I keyed an order this morning (something is telling me we are getting confined again soon), and there is one of the kits with a Hard body ), something I never did (and when it was on static model, I did use brushes, and no sprays): I'm afraid of this as there is always a learning curve...

Anyway. Maybe one day, I'll be able to do a perfect paint job (pictures are making it easier than it is in reality)...

I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65379

Hard bodies aren't so hard to paint. I did several the température is important.
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65382

Can't say why I'm a bit afraid by the paint on Hard body... I believe polycarbonate bodies finish is easier, as the body itslef will be the finish, while on a Hard Body, the finish is directly linked to the way you applied the paint... Maybe a question of being used to... And as regard to temperature, I paint outside even when weather is not good or cold. I generally heat the body shell with with a heat gun (the one I borrow from my wife's bathroom :-) ), and sprays are store at inside temperature but I put them in a recipient with hot water (around 40° C). All of that ease the drying process (and I generally heat a bit the body again after paint application)...

That being said, the time I'll paint a hard body, I'll see how difficult it is..;
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65383

Wich kit you'll buy before the lockdown ? 
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65385

"Motus et bouche cousue"... If I disclose it now, it will be difficult to ask "What's in the box?" when it get delivered 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65386

That being said, a part of the order is a bit on the dark side (because it is not all about Tamiya)...

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65390

Javelin? Super clod wrangler isuzu mu?

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65391

Tank? Truck? 

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65393

Javelin? 

Would love one or a Turbo Optima with a Javelin body... But none of those is available anywhere at the moment... That being said, there is no Kyosho in the next delivery (and Kyosho is definitely not on the dark side :-D)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 3 weeks ago #65395

That will be a crawler? With a hard scale body?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.