Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Comical Series - Lunchbox Mini 1/24 - SW-01 - 57409 3 years 2 weeks ago #65628

Hello everyone,

I built this Lunchbox mini with my son today.

I did plan for ball bearings and for the upper links to allow the 4 wheels to steer the car, and another body, for something special later on...

I did not took all the steps in pictures, as I did not have my phone next to me at some point.

First, the Li-Ion battery I planned for this car, next to one of my robitronic so you can have an idea of the size

It starts with the gears in the main carter

Then the small engine is getting mounted

Then the drive shafts

There is 4 of them, and front and back are identicals. There is two C-Cluster, although their content is not exactly the same. I did not saw any indication for C-Front and C-Rear, but the difference are on those points

Then it is time for the front uprights

Warning: Spoiler!

Then it is the front train...

...and the wheelie bar before the rear train

Then we go back on the front to build the frame used to turn the uprights and as well to lean the frame of the car...

Next is the front and back tie rods and the upper links (hop ups). Tie rods length are different than within the manual due to the upper links.

I then added the horn that serve to direct the steering (forgotten at previous step)

Then it was time for lunch. We had to clean the place. We restarted later on, but without the phone to build the upper deck. Sorry, no pics :). It includes the standard sized servo, the esc mounted on the servo and the rx mounted on the battery room. Next step was to assemble it on the chassis.

Next remains the steering link, the weehls and the closing of the battery room...

I then set the ESC and it was time to start the body (pre-painted - so this will be box art)

And here is the finished build...

To be honest, I did not have much time to play with it : my kids stole the TX and the mini Lunchbox, and it seems they really like it :-D

They already discovered it is quite easy to do front loop when using brake and not only wheelies... They like to play with it...

On my side, it was an enjoyable moment to bulid this small truck, and it will be nice on the shelve next to the big one (I'll build it next week with my daughter)....

A+
Marc
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, the11th, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Comical Series - Lunchbox Mini 1/24 - SW-01 - 57409 3 years 2 weeks ago #65629

J'en veux un..   too fun this tiny lunchy. I love it. 
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

Comical Series - Lunchbox Mini 1/24 - SW-01 - 57409 3 years 2 weeks ago #65632

Flo, that is staring this way :-D! Be careful!

That being said, I want a Jr R/C converted to complete the serie, now :-D
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Comical Series - Lunchbox Mini 1/24 - SW-01 - 57409 3 years 2 weeks ago #65633

Marc, I have 2 projects in mind but not the budget yet. 

Comical Series - Lunchbox Mini 1/24 - SW-01 - 57409 3 years 2 weeks ago #65637

Marc, I have 2 projects in mind but not the budget yet. 

Well... I did reviewed my overall budget at the end of last year, and repurposed what I did not used in Motorbike week-ends and motorbike maintenance/upgrade last year and also included the begining of this year (in 2020, my bike made 1500 kms while usually it does something like 10 times that if not more). I did exhaust all this part of the budget now, I still have few project elements budgeted for next big money income (3D Printer, and some Kyosho kits if they become available - the question will be if money come in right time to supply the kits before they are no longer in inventory - because it may definitely happen this way :-/)... That being said, I initially thought my wife would not like my growing activity in R/C, but she actually repurposed some of her activities budget to buy a horse, and then she can't really say anything if I buy another R/C kit, specially considering the kids actually like that as well... But yes, somehow, I feel lucky on that aspect...
That being said, the part of planing project is also highly important, as pleasure comes already long before you can buy the kits when looking at how you can do it (the Turbo Scorpion took in real 2 months of planing before I actually pull the trigger on it). To me one kit means the following workflow:
  • Planning (1-2 months) : what you want, how you want it to be, what hop ups and so on
  • Sourcing kit and parts : can take time, but essentially the shortest activity
  • Once the kit is there, generally, I open it, check, and put it back in the box where it will be sitting under my desk until I start it... (may take a few weeks to a few months)
  • Building the kit: generally, It would take eithere days or weeks depending about the situation (when I really dreamt of a kit for so long, I generally take my time to build them. The Turbo Scorpion took 3 weeks for the build, I believe I will take similar time for the Super HotShot - smaller kits like the DT03, Hornet or this mini Lunchbox is one day build)
  • Planning the paint, and prepare the masks. Can take some time - days to weeks
  • Paint itself : generally a week
  • Run and improve - weeks to months :-D
All of this makes me think each kit is an investment allowing you for months of activity, which is starting long before you pull the trigger for the purchase...

Comical Series - Lunchbox Mini 1/24 - SW-01 - 57409 3 years 2 days ago #65934

It's amazing how complex this tiny chassis is.  Looks like you had a lot of fun building it.

Comical Series - Lunchbox Mini 1/24 - SW-01 - 57409 3 years 1 day ago #65938

Yes, it is incredibly complex within the small package. I took me a lot more time than for the Hornet, Lunchbox or DT03 to buid. Around 6 hours build, 1 hour and a half for the stickers alone in addition... But the real fun starts when you start running it. And while I had more fun building it with my son, my son is having a lot of fun running it (I don't need the wheelie and accrobatic fix mysefl :-D).

That being said, there is some interesting tricks during the mount: use a body clip to maintain the bearings until you mount the wheel hubs and wheel is something that can be used in any other build, for example... Any case, any new build comes with new learning, and this is obviously the case with this one...

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.