Keyword

TOPIC:

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69125

Thanks.

Yeh, I've got a Lunch Box lexan shell and you can notice the weight difference.  I like the ABS shell though, the separate bumper and side rails I think look nicer than the integrated ones on the lexan.  I'll probably never race competitively so it's all good.......  If I start racing, I'll end up going crazy with performance parts.  And I already have track car that's a money pit.

The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69126

Performance parts on a lunchbox??? All it needs is a lexan body shell and some oil shocks instead of the the pogo sticks, and it is perfect... (ok, well, maybe a brushless 13.5T combo and 3 lipo so it can fly and it would be super perfect :-D)

And by the way, looking at the whole day of run on Saturday and the overall abuse it took, I can definitely tell that the Lunchbox is almost indestructible. There was 2 jumps on the track (15 cm and 40 cm), and my son took real pleasure to take both of them at all occasion for the crowd... The only part which broke was one of the links between the spring axle and the wishbones (I had that available as I unmount the pogo sticks on mine to replace them by shocks - the difficult part was to get back to the box to get the replacement part)...

Ultimately, as long as you have shocks, and shock braces on the chassis it become indestructible. Some people would say to add a fifth damper, as it would ease the life of the 2 parts which are fixing the rear train, but I'm looking to understand how long and how much abuse the original parts are going to last before replacing them...

In any case, have fun and enjoy the Lunchbox. No rc car is like it :)

I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69127

Like i said, I'd go crazy on parts 

I actually did same gearbox mod on this as my Super Hornet and the Rising Fighter, where i replaced the crappy little springs with stronger ones. Basically does away with needing the 5th shock option.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69128

Any details on the springs you mount? May need to consider this on my rigid axle cars :)
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, Ducksnuts

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69132

Yep, just using the springs from some Paper Mate "clicky" pens, but really any cheap pen would do.
Cut the springs to size.  I found the best is cut it slightly short, and then stretch out the spring

Drill and Tap the gearbox mount to take an M3 bolt, from memory it's either 16mm or 25mm length.
Fit the spring, i also added small amount of lube/grease.  Then fix it in place with a flanged nyloc nut.
To shim the gap, and slightly reduce friction, I also add an M4 nylon washer between the gearbox and the mount.
Then the fiddly part is getting all fitted.  The gearbox shaft sits under the spring.  Something long and pointy helps to hold the spring up while you get it all in position.
This is pic of the Super Hornet mounts.

The range of movement is less than with the oem springs, but it's stronger.  And you could even play around with spring rates, if you wanted to get that technical with it 
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69135

Whilst I had my camera out, some finished pics of the Comical Frog driver.  First time i've painted a driver, so i'm happy.  Having stickers for the eyes also helps 
(I wasn't patient enough to fill the helmet gaps/holes.)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69138

Good tip on the spring mod for the Lunchbox/Hornet type of axle 
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69142

Good tip on the spring mod for the Lunchbox/Hornet type of axle 

I totally agree with that! Could be a very good improvement on my Lunchbox. I spend some times looking at the springs I have available in pens at home, and none fit. Or I don't have 2 of them!
And by the way: I noticed something last week : even with a Silver can, tires need to be glued on the Lunchbox. After a few runs, the rear tires are acting as a slipper clutch. As a result wheelie no more... I definitely correct this on mine :-)

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69143

You don't have to glue them, you can use rubber bands :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Family builds - 58347 Lunch Box | 58416 Rising Fighter | 58673 Comical Frog 2 years 5 months ago #69144

You don't have to glue them, you can use rubber bands :)

Nice tip! Just thinking now about the rubber bands I should use... Any pictures?
(Just thinking it may not work if I replace the silver can by a very (over) powered brushless motor and 3S battery in the Lunchbox (something that may be tempting for more than a single reasons, taking into consideration a Lunchbox is almost indestructible...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.